Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI or Carb, the final thread (for me anyway)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MrArmyAnt, Nov 17, 2005.

?

TBI or Carb.

1. TBI

43 vote(s)
    65.2%
  2. CARB

17 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. JUST PICK ONE, the equally suck. or rock.

6 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    Which is better, for mudding first, rock second, and performance 3rd? anyway to improve how gas comes out of a carb to make it work more like a tbi? i don't know what to do :( Is it harder to go from tbi to carb or from carb to tbi? this is to help me decide between a later model or earlier model blazer. seems later models were thinner but galvenized, older was thicker, and older had better transfer cases. so this is the big difference now.

2. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

i'd get as new a K5 as you could afford. fuel injection is the way to go.

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

in my eyes.... they have places in life. need sheer power? carb all the way. want efficency and off camber throttle... TBI.

TBI takes a lot of money to build 400+ horses and i think is limited to just over 550 horses.
    grant

4. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Yes, they both have places, but which one has a place in a 4x4?

5. azblazer

azblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The first time you rig is laying on its side or at a 45 degree angle on the trail or you run some high altitude trails you'll be kicking yourself in the --- for running that antiquated carburator. Running trails doesnot require gobs of horsepower....low end torque....and gearing....of which gearing is the all important factor.

If you want 300 to 400 horse go by a camero and have fun at the race track.

DW

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

They are both have places in a 4x4 :

TBI or fuel injection period , guys with them already , or those with money to convert .

Carb , old school guys , or those of us who can't afford injection .

I love my q-jet , but its gone when I win the lottery and can actually afford 2 trucks and 2 cars at once :D

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

fuel injection,,,hands down..

TBI is great,,,but TPI is awsome

8. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

'

wait, what's the difference? did the 91 models have...?

9. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

i vote TBI, never had mine stall out, seen a few guys try the stuff i tried but they sputter and die out, carbed trucks...haha, sucks for the carbed guys...

10. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Hmm, what if I found a 78 with shackle flip and dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear for 2300? and theres a fully stock 91 for 1700?

11. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

78 All the way.. you could always retrofit a fuel injected motor, but finding Dana 60's is not that easy :bow: :bow:

12. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Both good prices IMO. buy the 78 for the axles, providing the rest of the truck is good. TBI motors can be had for 300-500 bucks with harnes and computer. The 91 would have to be a blazer or sub, truck bodystyle changed in 88.

13. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

none of the trucks had the TPI, that was in the Camaros and Vettes,,basically each cylinder has it's own injector. excellent throttle response and i personally believe a bit better fuel efficiency.

14. natehate

natehate Registered Member

buy both trucks and put the tbi engine and everything in the older truck

15. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

cant afford both, can batrely afford 1. they are both k5's. so where does one find this tbi motor for 500 bucks? i always thought motors were a couple thousand dollars.

16. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

TBI seems way better, but my problem is this. I converted my 83 k5, and it runs and starts better, but since I did the work myself, I'm kind of parnoid about getting out in the boonies and having something go wrong. I'm almost totally on my own, since the chip is custom, the harness is custom, and I have an external in-line fuel pump... no backwoods mechanic could ever help me, unless he reinstalled a mechanical fuel pump and put on a spare carb.

Something to think about if you get parnoid like me... carbs are dirt simple and you can have a complete spare in your toolbox. The other option is to snag a complete engine/TBI combo with all the original emissions and everything so it's totally stock. Big money and install time for that though. Including new fuel tank if you want the total original deal.

For now I carry a spare computer, spare chips and spare fuel pump. ;)

17. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

Cheap Reliable Power Is Why A Carb Is Still Installed In Many Hot Rods And Rigs Today But The Response, Drivability And Low End Torque Is Something Carbs Will Never Be Able To Compensate For No Matter How Big The Price Tag Is.

Tbi Really Has No Place On A 375 Plus Horse Motor... Even At That Power Level You Could Have Multiport Or Tpi For A Couple Hundred More.

Personally I Chose The Tbi Setup Because Of The Simplicity... Its Basically A Carb With A Computer Attached To It. Injectors Can Be Replaced In A Few Minutes And The Harnesses And And Sensors And Much More Simple Than Mpi.

I Say Stick With The Tbi... If You Want To Make Power Tbi Can Scratch The Itch All The Way Up To 350 Plus Hp But You Will Need Computer Tuning.

18. eagle mark

eagle mark 1/2 ton status

Paranoia is the norm for old school guys! :D

But first they are much more reliable. Second it takes catastrophic failure for them not to run, even if it's a huge problem they still run in limp home mode. Third they are as easy to diagnose as using a paper clip and counting flashes! :saweet:

19. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Cool, the affordable fuel injection guy. Is it your business? I think they/you were just getting on-line when I did my project. I bought a kit from customefis.com, which worked out okay, but the guy was kind of hard to work with... and the harness is kind of weird - it has no crank sensor or VSS input, so I might have to hack into it to get that stuff done some day.

Oh, and he wouldn't let me have the bin file he was working from for some reason, even though I eventually just read it back myself to make some changes. He kind of gave up on me after the vehicle kept running lean. He was sure I had a leak somewhere, but I think he thought I had bigger injectors than I do and had too small of a base pulse width...

Sorry for the tangent. :whistle:

20. drofdar

drofdar 1/2 ton status

Paranoid!

I did the work myself, I'm kind of parnoid about getting out in the boonies and having something go wrong. I'm almost totally on my own, since the chip is custom, the harness is custom, and I have an external in-line fuel pump.

Sounds to me like you don't need the help of any backwoods mech as you seem to be the one most likely to fix your own rig! And you seem to be prepared regarding spares. If you wheel alone, then no amount of spares can immunize you from everything. So, to ease your soul, just wheel with buddys.

As far as what type of induction system... no one setup can solve all issues. I have a 383 powered rig down in Baja, Mexico with a simple Q-Jet setup. 383 for low end torque in the sand and carb for the availability of Mexican parts. I built it with 8:1 compression because I use Mexican gas. 8:1!!!! Performance freeks must be screaming. But, if I run out of gas, just pour some beer in the tank and it'll keep going, almost.

My point is, you can not be prepared for everything. Once when wheeling very far from pavement and help of any kind, my buddy, (in a Holley carbed, 327 powered Jeep) had his accelerator pump rupture. Keep in mind that this was way down in Baja and night was coming. We retrieved him with a 7 hour cable tow into the midnight hour. Carbs break also.

My stateside rig is powered with 5.7 tbi out of 93 Yukon. I love it. Great low end power, simple and reliable, with the only mods being headers, K/N filter, no egr valve and proper gearing/tires. Yes, I had the computer reprogrammed for my specs, and it was a little pricey. But still less than $2000 total, motor and all. I also carry an extra external fuel pump, and other spares. Drinking water, survival clothing, emergency food, ect is something that should be permanent equipment in any offroad vehicle. And if you must go out alone, just be sure someone knows where you plan to wheel, and when to expect you back.