Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI or Carb???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by flash_point, Nov 18, 2001.

1. flash_point

flash_point Registered Member

I don't have a K5 Blazer but am in the market in getting one. My parents have an '89 Blazer that I'm in love with that they have had ever since brand new. They have the TBI 350. What I was wondering, what would be the best to get. Either a carb or a TBI injected Blazer?

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

GET FUEL INJECTION! I have a carb, and would ditch it in a heart beat for a fuel injection setup... unfortunatly I won't have cash like that until March - BUT I WILL GO FUEL INJECTION.

Why you ask?
    #1 - I have to pass emissions, not get laughed at [​IMG]
    #2 - Fuel economy (if such a thing exists with a big block! )[​IMG]
    #3 - Fuel injection has far better trail manners than that of a carb. My Holley constantly is giving me issues choking and stalling. I have a QJET I need to try, but can't find the correct spacer (adapter) to mount it to my squarebore intake. [​IMG]

Go FI, you won't be dissappointed.

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    My license plate reads:<font color=blue> 8 YR SUV</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://24.10.209.54/bigolk5.htm>http://24.10.209.54/bigolk5.htm</a>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s

3. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

TBI. No contest.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

4. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

holley makes an adapter for spread to square. i got one on my rig now. summit has em.

5. flash_point

1987 was the 1st year of TBI correct? Since it was the 1st year of TBI were there any issues with those years or would you suggest like an '88 or '89? I definetly want the upgraded front gille assembly &amp; headlights that the '89 has plus the sliding side windows in the shell. You can always buy upgrade kits right?

6. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'd just shop for the style you want.....I like the GMC grill, and ran into a screamin' deal on a one owner garage kept hard loaded grocery getter in a neighborhood I was workin' in one day.......it had 3:08 gears, and car type tires, so it had probably only been parked on grass at soccer games.....the factory spare had never been unbolted......44K miles when they guy said he wanted $5000, I wrote him a check on the spot.....that was 4 yrs ago....I wanted a plain stock vehicle that I could make my own....I know what parts are on it, and how the work was done.....be patient and shop around......take someone with you who will slap ya down if ya start losin' yer mind just cause it shines in the sun.........a vehicle that's for sale is sorta like a woman...........Don't matter how good lookin' it is, somebody somewhere is sick to death of it.........I'd look for the newest model (91 down) I could find w/TBI......

Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

7. flash_point

Cool, thanx

8. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I have had no real issues with y 87 steup. Has been great. If you offroad at angles the TBI is where it is at... otherwise I like the qudrajets. I have gotten better milage and driavility on the roads with the carb setup but then I know how to tune a carb pretty darn good so that come into play too. The TBI setup is fine, but just doesn't let you expand and tune like a carb

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

9. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Qjet for cruising around or playing on trails that arent steep. Holley for mud racing or desert racing where you need the most power you can get. TBI for rockcrawling or hill climbing.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

10. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Eastern Colorado, jokingly referred to as Western
    I was running a Holley ProJection 670cfm TBI system, on a basic crate motor. I constantly had problems, and was twisting the tuning knobs 3 or 4 times a day. Of course it was a manual FI system, so that may have been the problem. I got rid of that FI, and put a Holley 750 4-barrel carb, and haven't had any problems with it at all. I also went with a manual choke. Maybe it's because I hate anything that's computerized or out of my control, and in my opinion, FI needs to be controlled by some little black box.
    Yes, passing emissions is a tuning nightmare, although several places will work with you, let you hook up to the system, and then tweak away until you get it to pass. Then you tweak it back to run good, and you're done for a year or so. This was the way everyone ran their hot rods in Hawaii years ago, and it's still the same today. Colorado is fairly strict on emissions, but as I said, you have to find the right place to get your checks done. Most 4X4 shops can recommend a "friendly" inspector.
    Good luck, and happy wheeling!!!!!

<font color=blue>I don't know everything, I just think that I do.............</font color=blue>[​IMG]

11. flash_point

Thanx guys. I pretty much have it all planned out. Around April or May I will have enough money saved up to start looking &amp; getting a K5. I'll probably get anywhere from an '89-91 K5 Blazer or Jimmy. With that money that I will have saved up will include enough money for a 4" lift, new Rancho shocks, full tune up (obviously), 33" or 35" tires, JET chip, headers, new paint if needed, nerf bars, grill gaurd &amp; Flowmasters. Does that sound good or did I miss anything? Stereo system stuff will come after all that stuff.

12. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

You are going to be changing that list. It is very practical. But once you get that K5 off road, I can put money on it that you will change your mind on a few things. Good luck shopping and listen to what everyone else says. FI is the BEST way to go! Dont jump on the first one you see. The next five will be better! Welcome to CK5!
    Justin

13. flash_point

So what type of changes would you suggest that I need to make to that list?

14. flash_point