Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI or TPI?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beater_k20, May 10, 2004.

1. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

which would make a better all around truck? i have most of a TBI setup, and have access to several TPI setups, so both are pretty much "what i have" type deals. from my understanding, the TPI system would offer better distribution to all cylinders, no matter what the angle its operating at. that seems like enough advantage to me to go to a TPI setup rather than TBI. am i correct in thinking this way?

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You will have more power and better fuel mileage with Tuned Port Injection. TPI is much more "performance" oriented and was originally on Corvettes and camaros. Because of TPI systems being fairly easy to obtain and good aftermarket multi port units available....I would never even consider TBI on a non stock motor.

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Definately TPI is a better setup, but both are good for off road use, TPI will as mentioned give you better throttle response, performance and fuel economy, as the injectors inject fuel right into the port above the valve, less area for it to travel and is more precisely metered. I had it on my '89 IROC Camaro i had and i absolutely loved that engine, i have TBI on my Burb now, and i do like it, it's dependable, but is definately not like the TPI setup, i'd go with TPI. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

TBI is easier to install. TPI is more involved and more work. I personally think it is worth the work though. I put TPI on my truck. I LOVE it. Worth all the time and every penny.

TBI will be a cheaper easier install then TPI.

Either way do your homework on the system before you try and install it. Read everything you can find on both systems and make an informed decision. If you look threw some of my posts from about October 03 - January 04 you will find alot of TPI tech.

Thirdgen.org has alot of tech too.

I don't think I will ever own another SBC that isn't TPI. Carbs are no longer something I would bother with now that I have had TPI. I might be inclined to use an SBC if I bought it with TBI already installed or if I got it real cheap but if I have access to both at the same price TPI is the choice for me.

Also be aware that there are 2 different types of TPI. MAF & MAP.

MAP is more involved them MAF.

5. nstarry

nstarry 1/2 ton status

aftermarket is hot on the TPI system also (chips, injectors,runners,ect.) you have alot more real power options then the TBI
    thats my change on it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

TPI is much better. I wouldnt even consider converting anyting to TBI. And, depending which setup you use, it looks alot cooler too!

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

TPI all the way...chicks will throw their panties at you when they see it... [​IMG]

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I would say TPI, but thats only if you have the time, inclination, and parts. Either are better than carbs of course.

As was mentioned, MAP installs are a bit more "complex" (really it's more that they aren't as "adaptable" as a MAF setup) but they are also a lot cleaner. With no MAF needed, you don't have to worry nearly as much about your induction system.

Induction can be plumbed fairly easily, but it is still something to think about.

MAF adapts better than MAP to a fair range of mods, but even then, to get the most out of either setup, chip burning is a "must" if it's not on the complete original setup.

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    TPI all the way...chicks will throw their panties at you when they see it... [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

i picked up a 60 last weekend, chicks are gonna throw their panties anyways.