Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI performance

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rh88k5, Sep 27, 2002.

1. rh88k5

rh88k5 Registered Member

I just got my '88 on the road, Its pretty clean, faded paint, but other wise great shape. My question is: I feel I should have more pep or low end power (350 tbi everything stock) my '83 k5 305 with a carb had more jump, it seems to run fine,just passed emisions test, is there anything I can do or check to get a bit more power without going with cams/ rears etc?

2. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Goto http://www.summitracing.com and they got all the TBI goodies. TBI Heads, TBI Intake manifold, TBI Cams, and high-flow TBI units.

3. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

Does it need a tune-up? I just tuned mine and it does run stronger.

Also, what rear end gears do you have in this Blazer vs. your other blazer. Gears make a big difference.

4. rh88k5

rh88k5 Registered Member

It doesnt need a tune up, and gears are stock. I dont want to put aftermarket performance parts on, I just wanted to know how to tweek it a little, maybe make some type of adjustment, Im not to familiar with tbi.

5. jackedjimmy

jackedjimmy 1/2 ton status

i got a stupid but quick question for you.....will a TBI setup bolt up to an Edelbrock performer intake manifold?

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The main prob;em with TBIs is making them breathe better.
    headers and exhaust will help and are a must if you want the best performance out of it.
    I am running a lot of stuff from these guys:turbocity.com Their stuff will really make your TBI come alive. It works for me. And doesn't cost an arm and leg.

7. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

Hey, congrats on the purchase.
    I, too, have a tbi motor. Some of the upgrades I have are Edelbrock headers, flowmaster mufflers, true dual exhaust, Helix throttle body spacer, K&N filter, and a stage two chip.
    Definitely helping it breath is a good first step, and once you've done it, you'll find it runs a little lean.
    Start with a low-restriction exhaust, and a free flow filter, then get the chip. If you still want more you can get either the Holley or Turbo-city TBIs and at that point you'll want an adjustable fuel-pressure regulator. Don't expect to get a fire-breathing engine with the TBI. All the little doodads cost money so you might want to weigh stroking the motor to 383 vs. little things here and there. Wish I had done that instead!

8. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

Also, there's a site (think it's thirdgen.org) that has no-budget performance modifications.
    Check 'em out.