Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI potential?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eldon519, Nov 17, 2003.

1. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

Well from reading around these boards, the impression I get is that TBI is a great setup for torque but not so great for HP. I want to build a solid big block engine and was wondering if anyone knows about how much HP a stock TBI setup could support with a custom burned chip? I don't want to waste money building a BB capable of 400HP if the fuel system will only support 350. I know very little about fuel injection so for all I know I might be thinking of this in completely wrong terms. Could anyone shed some light on this for me? Thanks, Cory

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The porblem isn't so much the fuel system (you will just need some bigger injectors for 400hp).

The problem is getting air into the motor. The TB doesn't have that big of bores (well the 454 has OK ones) and the injectors cover up about half of them. You can get a injector spacer (not a TB spacer) that will raise the injectors higher above the TB and allow more air in.

If you don't have to worry about smog I would look for a different intake/TB setup depending on how much $$$ you have to spend.

3. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

I don't have much money to spend but smog is not an issue. Would it be possible to make 400 HP with just the bigger injectors or would I need some sort of spacer for that too? Thanks, Cory

4. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I don't think you could get 400HP with a standard TBI system. Check with Turbo City . They used to carry a dual TBI system good for 500HP. The website says it is not available now, though. Also Howell has some good TBI stuff and carry a version of Edelbrocks multiport system which will get you the power you want. Good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif