Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI problems...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by divorced, Oct 10, 2006.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

My bro has a '92 Burb with a TBI 5.7 in it. From what I remember him telling me, he can start it and it will run fine for just a few minutes and then it will idle rough and miss out and smell like it running real rich. There is also a loud squeeling noise coming from the throttle body. He can unhook the vacumm line to the map sensor and it will idle fine.

He replaced the map sensor because of the codes, but it still won't idle right. He also replaced the cap and rotor.

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

is it throwing any other codes? has he checked the IAC valve and to see if the passages might be carbon blocked, try running some seafoam through it

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I'll have him check for other codes and suggest checking the IAC valve and possibly the seafoam.

4. wetbackZO

wetbackZO 1/2 ton status

make sure the Engint Coolant Temperature sensor is not disconnected/damaged...

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you have a loud squealing from the throttle body the base gasket is prolly bad and leaking air. That will cause idle problems and the lean condition will cause the ECM to constantly richen up the mixture.