Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI pump w/ a carburated 350

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun, Sep 13, 2004.

1. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

So I did the swap to a carbed 350 from a TBI. The question I have is can I use the TBI pump as a regular electric pump. As in wire it in to the ignition so it is only on when the key is on. Will this work? It will always be pumping though right so I will need a regulator obviously. Will I need a return? Will an edelbrock 650 have a place for a return? Or will I have to replace the pump with an electric pump (universal). I would like to use my stock tank, pump, and lines and just plumb new lines onto the old lines and run that to the carb? Any ideas. If worst comes to worst I will put in a fuel cell and electric pump but I want to wait to do that. Please help?

2. chevyjeff

chevyjeff 1/2 ton status

Did this on my 82 vette. I isolated the wire form the fuse box to the intank pump and put a switch on it. Up front I ran the line from the pump to a holley regulator and ran one line out to the carb and the other out of the regulator back to the tank as return. It averages about 4-5 psi with this setup.

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I swapped a carb'd 454 into Ratzila's Sub doing exactly what chevyjeff described. In the swap I did we used a Mallory fuel pressure regulator with a return port. No problem, works great.

4. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

I haven't had any problems with the stock tbi pump feeding enough fuel for the big block /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Thanks

6. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Here the part number for the mallory regulator i have for my 454 swap, its number 4309 and has a return port.

7. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Instead of using a $75 regulator with a return port, what do you guys think about using a generic regulator plumbed from a "tee" installed between the feed and the return fuel lines?

Think this would work?

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I would also have the fuel pump on a manual on off toggle switch so you can have the ignition on and the pump off if you want. It could also act like a kill switch.

Harley