Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI question,already searched UPDATE!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by outlaw612, Mar 22, 2003.

1. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I have searched on this and think I already know the answer, but need confirmation.

Ive got a TBI setup off a 92 350 and Im wanting to put it on my 79 motor. The intake wont just bolt to the older model heads so what are my choices? I heard there was an adapter to allow to bolt the TB directly to and older intake, is this correct? If so, I have 2 questions...
    1) Where can I get this spacer/adapter?
    2) What is a good aftermarket intake to use with the TBI on an older motor?

2. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Re: TBI question,already searched

Holley makes both a TBI intake with a pre-87 intake face and a TBI to 4bbl adapter. Check their website for part numbers, summit, or jegs

3. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

you can hog out the center holes with a drill bit and use/make an angled washer to take up the slack... works fine and if you are carefull it wont leak.

4. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Thank for the info, thats what i wanted. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I know that can be done, and since I already have the factory intake, I might try it. I just dont want to chance having and air leak around the intake like happens alot if you do it this way. The couple of people i know locally that have went to TBI on an early engine both used the stock intake and both had leaks. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

The leaks are most likely due to improper torque caused by the slop in the washers. To do it correctly you would want a machine shop to spot face the center bolt holes so you could apply proper torque. This can cost more than than sourcing and earlier manifold on ebay.

I've yet to do this job but I have a 1991 TPI waiting for me to get time (already spotfaced)... Most guys on the efi list say leaks be stopped with the proper application of liquid duct tape (black RTV).

7. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Thats interesting, I never thought of that. I just assumed the leak was from the enlarged hole rather than improper torque. Ill look into spotfacing the center holes and compare to the cost of a new aftermarket intake. Thanks for your input! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Id still like the part # for the adapter if anyone has it, I havent had any luck finding it.

8. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I finally found the part numbers so Ill post them for everyone. These came straight from Holley Tech.

TBI adapter for spreadbore intake...17-41
    TBI adapter for squarebore intake...17-45