Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tbi questions

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by 4xrick, Jul 24, 2004.

1. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

is there anybody out there that knows a bit about tbi stuff I just got the motor put in mine and it idles fine and revs fine but whenever you put a load on it the thing pops and sputters and sometimes dies. I have tried everything i know replaced plugs wires, all new vacume lines and still it is the same I tried setting the timing everywhere between 0 and 7 degrees and then the computer is supposed to do the rest but I am stumped if anyone han give me any ideas or maybe give me a hand i would be gtreatfull thanks
    Rick

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Did you first disconnect the EST wire (brown wire w/stripe) before attempting to time it? If so then I would look to make sure the vacuum line is connected on the MAP sensor.

3. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

did you disconnect the computer when you set the timing? there should be a little brown and white wire at the firewall-or in my 95 pickup its under the dash on the pass. side. you need to disconnect it to set the timing.

other than that, maybe check fuel pressure, filter etc. good luck,

jason

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

In addition to the timing setting points above, what are you using for a fuel pump? Might not be getting enough pressure/flow. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

all three points very good but have all been done yes the wire was disconected when timing it and yes I did reset the computer after timing it and i did check the vacume to the map senson and aso have checked fuel pressure and it is ok.
    it does ok at full throttle and at idle it is in the imbetween points that it runs like [darn] and backfires.wtf?

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Did you change ignition module, I believe, (probably wrong lol) that at idle and at WOT the computer doesnt adjust the timing, but at other points it does. If the ign module is going bad, that could be screwing up the timing.

7. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

Maybe an O2 sensor problem?

8. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

o2 sensor is working and has been tested good.

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Is this a swap into an older rig? Does the ECM know if the vehicle is in park/neutral or not?

10. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

this is a factory setup in a OEM application. Only not OEM thing is the heads....
    Which wire on the MAP is the signal wire? How do you test the Ign. module?
    I have no literature on these trucks/motors so trying to test things is close to impossible..

11. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Stoopid question...are running an EGR valve? Mine did that exact same thing when the EGR crapped out on me.

12. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

so do I need to replace the egr valve or can I just put a block off plate on there?egr valve is spendy. too much for me to spend and not even know if it will fix the problem.

13. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

You should be able to block it off for a test run, but the 'puter won't like it long term. You can tell if it's working by feeling underneath to see if the plunger is moving when you rev it up. If it's not moving, then the EGR is shot. It cost me $40 for a new one.

14. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

I got quoted 75 bucks today, I will try the feeling it while im reving it up. thanks

15. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

stick your finger underneath the EGR and push the bellows up and see if the idle changes or not, or if you hear a leak. sounds like you have a sensor problem or a vacume leak . yes a EGR is rougly $45-75, make sure you take them the #'s off your original since they used a posative and negative vacume and you dont wanna mix them.
    [ QUOTE ]
    I have no literature on these trucks/motors so trying to test things is close to impossible..

[/ QUOTE ]
    ya theyre a pain, I have a few /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gifTBI books here if you need them, he needs to test the map/egr with a vacume setup for a good idea if theyre working, Id suggest it since he seems to have that POPPING thing to look for a vacume leak or fast fluctuations /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif the IAC, TPS, etc.. are just a ~.5v~ scale. Im kinda like Frank tho, also suspicious of the fuel situation, very picky fuel system the TBI is. Rick, if you need some help on it I have the stuff here for TBI and will have some free time this week, today til like midnight Ill just be on my roof, hell, bring Aaron down with ya /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    253-351-5003
    Rob

16. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

There ya go Rick, take 'er down to Ugly's house /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

I would test the map sensor if I could figure out what wire to test in the dash i cant really test the one in the engine compartment when i am driveing being it dosent act up when it is sitting still it revs up just fine it is only under a load it does it and there is no way I would trust even trying to drive the truck as far as your place it will bearly get up to go down the streat.

18. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

How bout the throttle posision sensor??? is it the adjustable kind? it should test out at .5 volts and gradually increase to over 4 volts at WOT. this test is done with the motor off and key on. use the dark blue wire going into the TPS. good luck, hope you figure it out/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

ya map sensors are a pain to test, thats why i just keep a new one on hand to test with /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

20. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ya map sensors are a pain to test, thats why i just keep a new one on hand to test with

[/ QUOTE ]
    Back probing the ECM is a pain, huh? What is that about?
    How 'bout you look in your books and tell us the pin locations and what they are on the ECM? /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif