Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by outlaw612, Jul 17, 2001.

1. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

A friend just bought a 87 Burb witha TBI350. Any ideas on how to pull a few extra horsies out of it?
    thanks,
    Matt

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

The first things to address are the input and output or intake and exhaust. Theoretically the faster and cooler you get air in and the faster you exhaust it out, the more power you have. So I would get a K&N Air filter for starters. Then work on the exhaust, a good set of headers will add a fair amount of horses along with a high-flow muffler of your choice. You can also consider going with dual exhaust, but I wouldn't get the duals more than 2 1/4" pipe because it is a small block and you'll probably lose low-end power if you go bigger. Hope this helps

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.rockcrawler.com>Click here to see my K5</a>
    *<font color=red>under construction</font color=red>*

3. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

A good set of headers, such as thorley headers (tri-y design) will help a bunch. That and a nice set of flowmaster 40 or 50 series mufflers with 2.25 or 2.5" headpipes. Also try to get a crossover pipe installed. A K&N doesn't help as much in the performance area as switching to and open-element air-filter will. It's as simple as flipping the lid over and putting it back on.

Don't forget to tune it up-check the timing, plugs, wires, etc.

Do not go out and buy a chip or and adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Do not buy a hi-output coil or HEI module. Waste of time/money.

Squash
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash>http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash</a>

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have an 89 with TBI heres a list of my mods.
    edelbrock headers into single 3" exahust.
    Flowmaster 70 series muffler
    K&N filter
    MSD 6-a Ignition box
    MSD coil
    performance chip in the computer fromhttp://www.turbocity.com
    Accell cap and rotor
    Packard high temp 8mm plug wires.
    I put these mods in to build HP, torque and improve gas milage and still keep it a dependable everyday driver . They have done all of this and more. I am very satisified with the results.

<font color=orange>GOT HORSEPOWER?</font color=orange>

5. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

I installed a hypertech stage 2 chip,an msd ignition, kn filter to enhance the already existing dual magnalow exhaust and the result was very noticable. The real improvement is in throttle response with a tbi. In low rpm conditions when you suddenly realize that sinking nail it and you might get away or at least look good trying. and with the a/t's on the highway I can go faster than I'm comfortable with and still have peddle to go. The platform for these goodies is a gm crate motor. The only beef is ya gots ta run 91 octane or better. Shawnboy.

If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I agree, good headers are a major benefit but I would stay with a 2 1/4 exaust. The smaller pipes will improve lower rpm torque. larger pipes are good for a motor that will be turning higher rpm, but the loss in backpressure could hurt your of idle performance. I never noticed a difference with stage 1 chips but have with stage 2. An MSD box or similar is always a good thing. there plenty of ways to pick up a horse or 2

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

7. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Well these are IMO... but I would start of w/ a MSD coil and then put in some fresh Delco or NGK sparkplugs gapped at .060. Alls get a good cap and rotor and some guys like to switch in a Holley or MSD ign module. Last get some good high quality wires like Taylors or MSD. Do a fuel filter here too. Next I would look into exhaust... try to go true duals either off your current manifolds or some headers. What you can do depends on the regulations in your area, but true duals is definetly better then gooing down to a single pipe and/or cat. K&N filter I really don't think is worth much, but for the cost and cleanability it isn't a huge rip off. Things to stay away from and are a rip off IMO are chips, throttle body spacers, and anything that gimmicky like those lame magnets for the fuel lines. You can now talk to turbo city... I like the idea of the injector spacer... for $20 it is pretty cheap and scientifically makes sense... you can also look into a bored out TBI unit.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>

8. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Hey Mikey, gettin tired of saying all that yet! LOL! Sounds a little familiar to me!
    outlaw612 - Not saying the others dont, but from what I've seen on the boards and such, Capt. seems to know his sh*t, so just take that into consideration. The others probably do too, but I havent dealt with them on a personal basis........yet! I'm sure I will someday though! Hope no one took that in the wrong way...

9. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Hey Mikey, gettin tired of saying all that yet! LOL! Sounds a little familiar to me!

<hr></blockquote>

hey, but he's a h*ll of a good sport doesn't he???

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

10. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

LOL... well between that and the lift question.... yeah it gets tiring LOL. But it is a big question for new members and a good one... so I refuse to get pisted about having it asked like some people.

Plus considering my rac'n background and such mild mods like this are easy. All in all it is a live and learn deal... you learn what is worth the money and what isn't real quick after you shell out the bucks LOL

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>

11. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

yeah he's a good sport! The reason I said its sounding a little familiar to me is because I pm'd him a couple of questions and that is the same response I got pretty much. Its amazing how many of us are all wondering about the same things! Guess its bound to happen when we all drive K5's!! And HOPEFULLY with this place I'll learn what is worth the $$ before I shell out the bucks!! LOL!

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by 90blzr on 07/18/01 04:08 AM.</FONT></P>

12. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Thanks everyone. Im sure all this will be as big help!
    Matt