Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI re-bushing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gill, Mar 12, 2002.

1. gill

gill Registered Member

Hey guys I remember someone saying something about a rebushing kit for TBI's. Mine is hanging inside the throttle body and I called the dealer and they had no clue and said it must be aftermarket. Im kindof stuck trying to find it any help would be great or if someone has a TBI they want to get rid of please let me know
    Thank ya
    Mike
    88 K5 350TBI

2. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

I did a sorta rebuild on my 92 Camaro's TBI unit, but I don't know what you mean by "hanging in the TBI unit"? Can you elaborate a little more? Is the throttle getting stuck or something?

Thomas.

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I think he is saying that the two throttle butterflies are getting hung up in the throttle bore b/c the shaft bushings that the butterfleis are connected to are shot...I don't even make sense to myself right now, but I hope this helps a bit!!!

Chris

4. gill

gill Registered Member

He's right the throttle is hanging in the TBI it gets stuck when you try to push in on the pedal and when it finaly goes I usually end up stomping the he** out of it and I heard that you can rebush the the TBI because it is wore out where the shaft is that connects to the butterflies
    Mike

5. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Oh, I understand now. I don't know if the blades use bushings or not, so I can't really address that.

On my Blazer, I have a carb, but the throttle blades were sticking on the intake real bad. I ended up getting a 1/2" carb spacer to lift the blades up and the problem hasn't returned.

There is a TBI spacer available for your TBI unit. I've got a 1/2" one on my Camaro and it helped with performance, so you may want to consider getting a spacer to cure your problem instead of dealing with the dealer trying to find out how the blades are mounted.

Just something to try, if it doesn't cure the problem, at least you can gain a little performance with it /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Thomas.

6. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

they have TBI rebuild kits for $60 so why not just rebuild the thing while you are in there?

7. gill

gill Registered Member

Thanks for all the info but the last rebuild kit I bought it didnt come with anything to fix that problem or any bushings to replace in there, I have also put a TBI spacer on there but it didnt help any. Even when the TBI is off it still hangs when you open the butterflies.
    Thanks
    Mike

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Going based on my knowledge of a Q-jet, not the TBI, so this may or may not be correct, but worth checking out.

If the shaft has worn into the body that much, you will be able to move the shaft with your hand up and down. (not in and out)

Carbs unlimited sold me two quadrajet throttle shaft bushings for $5 about a year ago, and the drill bit ("J"?) cost me about $15. Might check with them if you know the shaft has worn the housing.

9. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I saw your E-mail, and -Goofed up my replie. So I re-replied to your old thread, with this:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Gill.

This sounds like the throttle body-bore is worn by the throttle shaft. Causeing the throttle blades to bind in the bore.
    To check. Grab the throttle shaft and wiggle it, it shuold be solid, and only have rotational movement.

I think takeing the throttle body to a dealer, or a shop that is equipped to repair the throttle body is the best, and most efficiant way to go. Because, inorder to repair the throttle shaft bore, it needs to e drilled, reamed, bushed and wedged (all specialt tool kit)- so I don't think it would be a wise to do-it-yourself.

Save yourself some cash and pull the TBI yourself and bring it to the shop. (call 'em beforehand, and get a quote)
    If you do plan on pulling the TBI your-self, the fulel0lines can be tuff to remove, loosen the bolt on the back ofthe driver's side head that holds the fuel lines inplace (I thinks it's the same set-up as on IFS trucks ?!!?!) And keep an eye out for the fuel-line O-rings.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

K- So, at our shop, we have a G.M. repair kit and it will repair Q-jets and TBIs. (different tools and bushigs). It has been a very long time since TBIs were under warranty, so I have no idea where the kit is at now (I'd put money on it that it's stuck in someones tool box 'tho) The point is, it's been so long ago that most the guys forgot about it or don't even know about it. Try to get a-hold of some of the older guys or the shop-forman, they should know.

If it was me, I'd pull the TBI off and ship it to a shop that can rebush it.

Hope this hepls

]Never underestimate the power of your actions. With one gesture you can change a persons life.

10. BAD4WD

BAD4WD Registered Member

Check out www.turbocity.com. My "88 tbi on my 454 started sticken bad. Got a rebuild one for 240.00. feels like a new truck...

11. gill

gill Registered Member

Hey guys thanks alot for all the info. I can move it up and down so thats how I new that it had wore into the housing. Ill call around tomorrow and see what everyone can do.
    Thanks
    Mike