Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI rebuild...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigblue, Feb 21, 2001.

1. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

I was reading the Haynes manual untill about 2 am last night - i know i am a loser..and was reading the part where it describes the throttle body rebuild. it seems pretty easy to do. has anyone done their TBI and if so did you notice performance gains. my 350 is starting to lose her punch although not much and was figuring it would help to do my TBI.

baja surf nazi -...A late storm NEVER comes...

[​IMG]

2. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I rebuilt mine about 6-8 months ago. Mainly did it hunting a slight miss. It didn't fix the miss, that was something else, but the Blazer did run better. Let me put it this way, if carbs were as easy as a TBI, every Girl Scout in the world would be doing it. All total from taking it off to driving the truck took me every bit of 45 minutes. And that was takeing my time. I'm fairly certain I could do it in around 20 if I had to. It's SIMPLE!!!

Kyle
    89K5

3. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

Hey Kyle, I want to rebuild my TBI. Do they sell rebuild kits for the TBI like they do with carbs? What did you use to clean the parts once it was disassembled? Thanks, and thanks again for the axles.

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Glad you got the axles. I hope everything arived okay.

On the TBI, I bought a kit from the local parts house. Didn't cost much. Once I had it disassembled, I cleaned everything with carb cleaner just to get the carbon off. Careful not to get anything electronic too hosed. I didn't have any problems. The directions in the Haynes and the ones that came with the kit were VERY clear. I think the kit ran me like $15-$20 or something. Can't really remember, It's been a while. Don't sweat it, it's the simplest damn thing next to an oil change I've done on my truck.

Kyle
    89K5

5. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

Thanks. I've rebuilt quadrajets and Hollys before so this does sound easy

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

What does the rebuild kit physically do to the TBI? Is it just a seal replacement, or do you replace throttle shaft bushings, etc.? This has my curiosity piqued; it sounds like this $15-20 job could really wake my motor up. I assume NAPA/Pep Girls/AutoZone would have these kits...

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

7. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Mainly, it just freshens things up. Yer not going to notice any significant power increases, but mine ran a little better and idled a little better once everything was cleaned up/out. It sure wouldn't hurt to do it.

Kyle
    89K5

8. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

Well I just called Autozone and their price for the rebuild kit was $34.99. I am going to do it ths weekend if i don't go snowboarding. Peace

baja surf nazi -...A late storm NEVER comes...

[​IMG]

9. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

I rebuilt the fuel pressure regulator, easy. Also replaced the leaky injectors. Bought
    reman injectors from Northern Auto. If you have a stale gas smell after you shut down
    injectors may be leaking.

SteveB

10. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

A tip...high mile tbi's have a propensity to rust up the regulator spring. Also in the manual it will give you an ohm spec for the injectors...do this while they are hot...the coils can go open with heat...carbon on the IAC motor will create an erratic idle...a leaking diaphram in the egr valve will elevate your idle also...and if you can really here those injectors ticking...its time for reman units...plus a lazy O2 sensor will either make it run really rich or really lean....an o2 sensor should swing back and forth through the ac scale under 1 volt fairly rapid...if not your fuel mileage will suffer.

Steve 87K5....waaaasssssuuupppp fellow Zonie? Check the board...the Az K5 are talkin about hangin out bud!!!

Azblazer

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

11. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

AZBLAZER, thanks for those tips. My idle is slightly elevated so I will replace my EGR Valve. Since I bought my K5 last August, I've been slowly replacing sensors, etc. and EGR is on the list.