Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI replacement ??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Wingnutt, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

Well the time has come to replace the TBI on my stock 88. The throttle shaft bushings have worn to the point where it idles at 2000rpm or so unless you give a quick stab on the go pedel and nobldy makes relacement bushings. I've replaced the return spring seveeral times with a stronger one each time. I'm at the point now where the vaccum that operates the cruse control can't overcome the resistance. I've checked with the local machine shops but they won't touch it because the are scared of breaking the TBI when the press them in and out. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Soooooo given that, Who makes an AFFORDABLE TBI replacement? I've looked at the unit that Holley makes, but holy smokes, I ain't paying $550 for the dam thing. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Turbo city makes what looks like a nice kit that includes the high-flow TBI, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, injector install kit, fuel line washer kit, fuel line o-ring kit, fuel pressure regulator diaphram, and injector spacer, but I still need to replace those 16 year old injectors at $60 a pop x two. You can see the fuel droplets instead of a fine mist.

Because $$ is super tight now, I would like to know if there are any other more affordable alternatives.

Thanks

2. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

check e-bay... you can find them there for 100 - 200 bux or so... I have been on the look myself recently. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

Bump /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

How many miles do you have on that thing?

5. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

It just turned 155k. All the parts on the fuel system are factory originals, 'cept the fuel filter. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif I've had the TBI off and looked at the bushings with a high powered magnifing glass and they are worn in an oval shape. IMHO it's time for a new one. I wish I had the $$ for that Eldebrock MPI conversion.

6. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

James has a good one 4sale if your interested. I believe he wants $75 for it. It is stock from a 91 K5.