Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI smog stuff removal?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by originalspanksta, Jul 4, 2005.

1. originalspanksta

originalspanksta 1/2 ton status

can i yank the smog pump and air injection stuff off my 88c30 350 tbi with no ill effects on the way it runs? emissions is no biggie as i dont drive it on the street, but im not sure if it will mess with the fuel injection at all. thanks.

2. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I pulled mine off and it didn't even notice. I haven't gotten around to pulling the EGR valve off yet.

3. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I pulled mine with no problems and I am also running headers. I also would like to know what else I can pull off without messing up the computer?

4. LongIslander26

LongIslander26 1/2 ton status

Smog removal

There is an air tube on the catalytic converter you may want to pinch shut, but if it's and OBD I (Pre 96), you can lose the whole cat and still not have any computer issues. AFTER 96, they have a seperate 02 sensor that monitors the cat performance, which will throw a check engine light if you remove it. As for the EGR valve, it MAY cause you problems if removed from a vehicle that's fuel injected.

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

The EGR you dont even have to remove it, you can just disconnect it.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

And then your next post can be "Why does my engine ping at part throttle?". ;) EGR does NOTHING to hurt performance and actually helps the engine run better at part throttle. When you mash the go pedal to the floor the EGR valve closes, so it has zero effect on WOT performance. :cool1:

7. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Yeah well the computer should compensate for that. I know the EGR doesnt hurt performance, but everyone thinks it does, they think ALL smog stuff does.

8. trailbreaker

trailbreaker Newbie

but if you remove the egr valve or tamper with the smog system you might have to gap your plugs diff

since pulling off some stuff will take away from keeping the combustion chambr cooler

9. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

So let me get this all straight as I have a n 89 tbi 454 in a crew dually I would like to work on soon. I can remove the smog pump and all along with the cat and run headers and the tbi will be fine?

10. gmcjimmy90

gmcjimmy90 Registered Member

yes the tbi will be fine i have true duals no cats and my egr valve is bad (check engine light comes on) but it runs better than it did before.

11. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

dood!! that is so saweet!!! :saweet: :saweet: When I get around to finding cash for the motor rebuild :whistle: I wil make sure to not be afraid to rip off the darn smog pump along with putting headers w/ a dual 3" exhaust w/ no cats mmmwwwuauauua or maybe sidepipes w/ dual flame thrower kit would be cool on the crew dually :D

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

will be fine other than the light yeah hehe

plug holes in manifolds and plug off the catylitic converter tube and ther eya go

13. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

thanks for taking my doubts about making a cool engine work and being able to keep the stick tbi ;) :waytogo:

14. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

or just put headers on er and not have to plug the holes :D

15. originalspanksta

originalspanksta 1/2 ton status

thanks guys, i was never really looking to gain performance, im mostly just looking to clean up the clutter, also im swapping a manifold, so i figured while i have it off, can i just cap the new one and pull the rest of that crap out of there? looks like I can, thanks a lot.

--Matt

16. grey88

grey88 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i was wanting to get a carb manifold w/ the tbi adapter plate and get the manifold i want and still have a fullie motor. i can do this and have no problems with anything, is that the way i'm understanding it?

17. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i've found that on my '94 c1500, i can pull a whole lot of stuff off without having any problems, or even throwing a code. my cat is an aftermarket high-flow, so i leave that on, but with obd1, pulling it would not affect the computer, at all. pulling the egr will throw a code, most likely, and will not help it run better. pcv, i'm on the fence. doesn't seem to hurt performance at all, to me.

18. grey88

grey88 1/2 ton status Premium Member

ok so where are the pcv and egr's located on the manifold because one of the aftermarket manifolds for tbi's comes w/ a block of plate for a machined in area on the passenger side of the manifold not sure which is which and i wanna do away with the whole smog system completely, its not hooked up and not even sure if it works, i dont even have cats. i'm runnin duals w/ glasspacks.

19. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm not so sure you can pull the EGR without adjusting the chip for the TBI. When it thinks EGR is on, it adjusts the mixture if I'm not mistaken. I have no EGR, but my chip is set up accordingly.

Now, I don't know if it really makes much difference in the end, but the computer is paying attention to the state of the EGR.

20. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

even if it lost 10hp, getting rid of all the smog **** would be worth it. Whenever I see an old rig I get so jealous of that fact that they don't have a damn plate of 'vacuum hose speghetti' underneath their aircleaner. So much BS. Trail rigs should be as simple as possible and still work. Less parts you have, better off you are. I'm gonna strip down the TBI as much as I can on my 350... but its never gonna be as clean as I want it to be. Toy buggy is gonna run a 20r with propane. Now that will be a good trail engine.

j