Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI spacer = TV adjust?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tuner-automotive, May 21, 2005.

1. tuner-automotive

tuner-automotive Registered Member

I have a 90 GMC Jimmy k1500 w/350 TBI.
    Last night I installed my phenolic TBI spacer 1".
    I noticed it was alittle tight getting bolth the Accel cable and the TV cable to slip back on .
    Has anybody else installed these on there TBI's and if so did you have to readjust the TV cable?
    Im pretty sure I will have to lengthen the accel cable as Im haveing alittle trouble getting the butterflies to close once at idle.

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah definaitly. I made up a different bracket in the end to sort out the throttle pull. Re-adjust your tv to be safe. Only takes a second and could save $$$$!!!

3. tuner-automotive

tuner-automotive Registered Member

The guy I go see that runs a tranny shop told me how to adjust the TV .
    Push a button on the side of the TV cable and then pull the cable towards the frt of the vehicle as far as I can.
    Then go inside and mash the throttle .
    Said it should click into the correct position.
    Sound about right?

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You release the button then pull the throttle arm on the TBI fully open then release the tab. Don't do it by pressing down on the throttle pedal as you may not be getting true WOT. have a read of tv article 101 at www.tvmadeez.com . It's informative and tells why and how it should be done. :)

5. twb1997

twb1997 Newbie

I can't seem to find the button to push so I can adjust the cable. I feel like a moron. Please help. Also is it possible to adjust the throttle cable?

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

7. twb1997

twb1997 Newbie

I have crawled all over this thing and not found the stupid button. I will go back out in the morning and see if I can find it. I have read the link provided several times with no luck. Also how do I adjust the throttle cable. With it in the bracket it revs at 3000 rpms and the valves on the TBI are open. This problem has me stumped and I considered myself at least somewhat intelligent about motors.

8. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

if you installed a spacer under the carb/tbi, that is your problem... you need to run the 2 1" spacers under the bracket that come with better spacers.. my CFM tech one did..

try looking at the tv cable from the passenger side... right behind the bracket where it clicks in, is a flat section, but the whole area is shaped like a D, thats it.. on the dizzy side of the bracket...

you may not be able to set it, if the geometry is wrong.. meaning the bracket doesn't have the spacers..

9. pierce88K5

pierce88K5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

On my 88 K5 the "D" button is on the Drivers side of the TV adjust, not the dizzy side. Maybe you are looking on the wrong side?

10. twb1997

twb1997 Newbie

I will check it all over in the morning, but I have looked on both sides. I must be blind. lol

11. Jasonglh

Jasonglh Registered Member

The Turbo City spacer is only 1/2" thick while the CFM is 1" thick but whats the bottom line difference in performance between them?