Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI Spacer?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerBoy, Jun 13, 2000.

1. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Has anyone tried one of these TBI Spacers? They Claim to offer better gas mileage and all that good stuff. Just wondering if they are worth the 70 bucks?

BlazerBoy
    http://generalblueballs.coloradok5.com

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

A friend of mine bought one for a 94 z71 and he said it made a difference, but I am not sure just how much. i will talk to him again and see what he says!

Mike
    1982 GMC Jimmy - Emmett
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. bigdaddy89

bigdaddy89 1/2 ton status

I have one on my blazer and it seemed to help with throttle response and a bit more horsepower, maybe 8-10. It makes a hell of a whistling noise. Sounds like a little supercharger under the hood.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'd have to be personally standing in the dyno room watching the results before I would believe it made enough difference to be worth $70. Ranks right up there with the "Tornado" intake air swirling device in my book. Both peg my BS meter into the redline zone.[​IMG]

Statements like "it feels faster" aren't worth a nickel. Your brain wants to believe that you didn't just waste a bunch of money. Dyno numbers (and not just claims from the manufacturer) or dragstrip time slips from real world experiences are more believeable.

I can take any old neglected engine and generate dyno numbers that would "prove" that just painting the engine would make it create more power. But what if I forgot to tell you that while I was painting it, I also advanced the timing, put in higher octane fuel, installed new plugs, wires, cap and rotor and a clean air filter? Think that would skew the results? Not that I'm suggesting any particular manufacturer would do such a thing, but I'll beleive unbiased numbers before I'll believe manufacturers claims.

In theory, if you believed every claim made by every aftermarket parts manufacturer, you could build a 4-banger that put out 800 HP and got 300 MPG, just by installing every aftermaket part out there. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

5. bigdaddy89

Give Evergreen Performance a call to see if they have any dyno test results for your type of engine. Take into consideration the size of tires you might be running. If you are running a 35in. tire with 3.73 gears then 10 horsepower won't feel like a huge gain. But what would be expected for 30 minute bolt-on $70 item. I personally felt a differance in peformance, mostly when towing. 1-800-498-6951.

6. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I read a writeup on TBI performance in an old issue of 4x4 Power. They tested each of their mods against a dyno to show the increase. The gains were nice, but not enough for me to justify the money. When mine got about 185,000 miles on things, I just pulled the TBI off, rebuilt it with new gaskets and stuff, then slapped it back together. My injectors were still flowing good so I didn't bother with them. The salesman when I was trying to order my new parts talked me out of all of it. He said, that if the injectors still worked, leave them. He also said that in most applications the power gains look great on paper, and may even increse your milage by .1 MPG but that's about it. You're really not gonna feel anything or get any help. I decided that I'd rebuild mine and flip the aircleaner lid on my K&N. That was enough to keep me happy for a little while.

BTW, I didn't buy the K&N for the 10-15% hp increase, I bought it cause it's the last Air Cleaner I'll buy.

Kyle
    89K5

7. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I've looked at these too, but I might just make my own rather than spend $70. I enjoy machining so even if it doesn't work, I'll have fun making it.

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy

8. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

I've heard too that the spacer makes cold-starting more difficult.
    Yes??

9. bigdaddy89

No cold starting problems starting here. Granted I live in Arizona.