Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI swap into a 79'

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Clod_King, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

Okay I got a 350TBI to swap into my NON TBI 79 chevy pickup. The engine is coming out of a suburban. I cannot remember the year of the suburban, sorry guys. My truck currently has a 305/350/203 combination, and the combo I am getting is a 350TBI/700R/241. What do i have to take from the burb to get all that jazz to fit/work in my tuck?

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Everything connected to it that you can lay your hands on!
    Do a search and you'll find lots of info on this.

3. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

It's an '89! :D

4. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know off hand which combo is longer?

At any rate using my driveshaft (shortening it) might be a good idea if you need a longer driveshaft.

5. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

Alright, I am going to go searching for those threads.

6. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

Okay guys, my computer is a piece of sh!t. I cannot search CK5 for the older threads. does anyone know of any that they can just set up a link for? I am still going to go manual search, but it would be sweet if I could get a link or two.....

7. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Shoot a PM to jiminycricket. He just went through all this on his '78.

One issue he's run into is the fuel tank. Make sure you take the tank out of the burb, along with the sending unit/pump. I would mount it between the frame rails in your pickup just like it would be in the burb. Unless you want to mount it somewhere out of harms way. then just put it in the bed.

I'm going to be swapping in a TBI350 from an '88, and I just plan to swap over the entire wiring harness including the fuse block. Just as if my truck had no wiring.

You'll probably need the speedo for the VSS input to the computer. At least on my '88 it's on the speedo. On your '89 it may be on the t-case, I'm not sure. That's one thing you should search out.

Otherwise it's like Mark said, Grab everthing that's connected to the TBI.

8. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Just a few of my experiences with a 77 longbed 350 auto TBI swap.

TBI Swap Suggestions

ECM:

#1227747 (1987-91 C/K Truck, Van, 4.3L, 5.7L, 5.0L & 7.4L) with a Broadcast Code of ASDU (1991 C-1500 5.7 TBI Automatic)

WIRING HARNESS: Painless #60101 with the ALDL built in.

TBI UNIT & SENSORS: Get the throttle body, all sensors, manifold and distributor. Make sure to clean out the manifold EGR passages while it's off. You can drill a small hole in the TBI oil sender and tap your stock gauge line into it.

FUEL SYSTEM: Carter Gerotor #5001 external pump mounted on frame rail below your saddle tank with the TBI style fuel filter next to it. Otherwise use TBI tank with the in-tank pump, fuel filter, & lines. If you keep the saddle tank make sure you have good venting, otherwise the tank will overpressurize and push fuel out the filler cap. The return fuel line also becomes much more important with TBI.

ALTERNATOR: Upgrade to a minimum 85 amp. Your stock 45 or 65 will not cut it. I used a 90 amp off an 83 TBI Camaro for a direct plug-n-play.

VSS: Run a painless VSS off the speedo input unless you get the TBI driveline make sure to get the VSS components with it.

Battery: You'll need a better battery, something with at least 600 cca. I'd recommend changing cables while your at it.

02 Bung: You'll need to add an 02 sensor bung into your exhaust pipe if you don't have one already.

9. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

Okay, so say I grab the whole gas tank out of the burb... will that make everything alot simpler in the fuel delivery deparment? And what does a VSS do? and should i get a painless wiring harness? or just grab the wiring harness from the truck....

10. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

That's up to you. If I could do it again I'd have gone with the TBI tank and system instead of trying to make my saddle tanks work. Another problem with saddle tanks is they block off mounting rock sliders.
    Vehicle Speed Sensor: The ECM uses the VSS signal to modify engine functions and initiate diagnostic routines.
    What year is the donor Burb? Thunder or Dyeager would probably be able to give you better advice on the harness. I think the 91 and up had some type of dash integrated VSS.

11. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I'd take the original harness instead of wasting cash on an aftermarket. Just follow the wires and label them. Most are pretty self explainatory. The only odd thing about the factory harness is all the ground wires. Pretty redundant. I just run one main ground through the harness and solder all the grounds to it so I only have to hook up one.

There are lots of pieces to a complete TBI system. I'd follow every single wire and get every part.

The conversion is pretty simple if you get all the parts. The hardest part is welding in a bung for the O2 sensor. everything else is bolt on, for the most part.

I'd go with an external electronic fuel pump before i would swap out a tank or sendor. If your sendor has a return line, its easy. If not, you can tee in a line on the fuel tank vent for the filler tube.

12. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Your old gas tank has smaller lines than the TBI tank. I recommend using the TBI tank for the lines and in-tank pump. The in-tank pump allows better fuel pickup at angles than an external pump will. Some have reported fuel starvation at 1/4 when using an external pump (corners, hills, etc).

13. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

Okay so hold, some people say keep my tanks, and go with an external pump, and othrs say go with original TBI fuel tank. I will most likely have to plumb new fuel lines anyways.... so what should be the do all, and end all????

14. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

My vote is use burb TBI tank & pump.

15. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

For what it's worth I'd suggest going with the TBI tank. I'd think as long as the tank fits between the rails where the burb tank goes it would be the least troublesome.

16. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

Yeah I agree. If it will make the swap easier, it sounds like a good idea. So if the whole egine tranny T-case is wapped over, the VSS should be easier to setup then right? Will it hook up to my speedo easy? or should that be grabbed out of the burb aswell?

17. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

While you might be able to fab the VSS to work with your speedo, just swapping to one with the VSS already in it (the sub's) is a heck of a lot easier!

18. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

Thanks man. Are chevy display gauges one peice? or multi? I mean can i just take the speedo from the burb, or do i have to take the whole "cluster"?

19. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

As long as the sub has the vss in the speedo, it will bolt right into your dash. The speedo cable clips on.

20. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

what if the VSS is in the T-case, or tranny?