Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI swap is done finally w/ Pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SF87K5, Jan 20, 2004.

1. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Let me start off saying I will never, never, never, never, never do this type of swap again. Ok thats my rant about it lol.

The swap was taking my stock carbed 305/th700/np208 out and putting a 355TBI/th700(built)/NP241 in my 85 K5.
    well a week and a half later we got it done, thanks to Ash (bigorange90jimmy) and his buddy Adam. God there is a lot of power there that I did not have before. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Hey Eric(Orange Crush) I got fuel injection weres yours. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

For those of you who want to do this just let me say you will need EVERYTHING off the doner truck. I mean all the inside wiring, all the engine compartments wiring. The wiring from the engine to the fuel tank and rear light. All the fuel lines from the donor truck and the tank from the donor truck.

It is alot of work and I will not do it again but I am also glad I did.
    TBI power is so sweet. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Next engine mod is a CompCam solid roller set up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Here are some pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Re: TBI swap is done finally

Good job Danny, hope it works out for you /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

wait... It's all worth it when you get it together and on a trail.

4. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

oh it is. I was driving home and was doing 45 and floored it, with in about 400ft or less and I was at 70. LOL

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Wow...Danny....you're still alive! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Good job on the swap! Glad you got that 305 outta there! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

An aftermarket engine harness would have made it easier I bet. Just depends what your headaches are worth to you /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

WTF did you guys do to ash's jimmy? /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep, that's a swap that takes a lot of work!

[ QUOTE ]
    Next engine mod is a CompCam solid roller set up.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Do they make a solid roller cam that's mild enough for the TBI? Most solid rollers are VERY radical, high RPM max horsepower beasts.

9. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Do they make a solid roller cam that's mild enough for the TBI?

[/ QUOTE ] According to comp cam they make a tbi computer friendly roller. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

am I blind or was that a very nice orange blazer? Why not just swap axels over?

I assume I am missing something here?

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    am I blind or was that a very nice orange blazer? Why not just swap axels over?

I assume I am missing something here?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's bigorange90jimmy's jimmy!!

12. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    According to comp cam they make a tbi computer friendly roller.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep, but I'm thinking that if you look closely you'll see that it's a hydraulic roller cam, not a solid roller cam. Cam profiles are different between a solid and hydraulic roller cam, so you can't just slap a set of solid roller lifters in on top of a hydraulic roller cam. Besides, adjusting the solid lifters all the time gets to be a pain in the a$$. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

13. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Congrats on the swap. You did it right having the donor vehicle right there. makes things a lot easier.
    I would reconsider using a the solid roller cam and go with hydraulic roller. Unless you enjoy headaches. Got Asprin?
    /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

14. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Yes Ash has other plans for t=his Jimmy. He is selling everything but the body. He is going to build a chassie and put rockwell axles under it.

Ok yes the cam is a hydraulic roller cam. It is a CompCams Xtreme 4X4 258hr cam. Still it will be going in the 355 TBI in about a year or so. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

God I cant wait to get it off road and really test it out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well that conferms it for me, think ill forget the idea of putting a factory TBI in my truck and stick with the holley projection...

16. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

The reason I did not do a aftermarket harness was I didnt have the $400 for the new wiring set up.

17. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

$306 at Auto Zone!!!!!! Man it was SIMPLE!!!!!!!!!! I had thought about swapping the stock wiring harness, but I am SOOO GLADDD I used the painless set-up...Everything is labeled, and it is Plug-n-play!!!

Anyway, good job on the swap.....I am sure you are going to love it..

Rob

18. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hey Danny congrats on the upgrades, (Ithink you should've just traded trucks /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif) but your going to love the "poor mans doubler" this summer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. Get a detroit and come back down. come to think of it have you done anything to that truck in your own driveway /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

19. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Paul come to think of it I changed a wheel cylinder in my driveway. Does that count?? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif