Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI Swap Problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by btolenti, Aug 9, 2005.

1. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

I am working on installing a TBI unit on my 86 K-5. I am using an adapter from the spreadbore on the existing manifold to the new TBI. The problem is that the IAC module and the EGR are preventing me from bolting the TBI onto the adapter. Anyone have any ideas on this?

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Would a riser block give you enough clearance? They're usually 11/2" to 2" tall.

barnmisc 002 copy.JPG

3. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about that, but am wondering what I would need top fab up to make the stock throttle cable setup work properly....

Does anyone have pics of the Edelbrock 1476 EGR spacer????

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah, my throttle/kick down bracket got pretty complicated!! :haha:
    I'm sure there must've been an easier way!!!

m swap 006 copy.JPG

5. mrjay40

mrjay40 Registered Member

When I did my tbi swap, I was using an Edelbrock Performer manifold w/o the EGR option. So I didn't have any clearance problems.

If you are running an EGR, then I'd have to say go with the tbi spacer. The other option would be to get a performer tbi intake. Their around $200 from Summit. Pricey but it will also give you a place to mount the map sensor.

I did have throttle and transmission cable problems. My solution was to rebend the oem bracket. It's not pretty, but it works.

Mr. Jay

6. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

THe problem is that the performer TBI manifold is for 87 and up blocks with different angled intake bolts for the center of each side.