Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tbi swap?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazindorito, Feb 27, 2005.

1. blazindorito

blazindorito 1/2 ton status

CARB to TBI swap?

I have done a search and can't seem to find info on swapping in a TBi into a carburated engine. Does anyone have any info on how to do it? I just got a complete TBI for $220. Can't wait to swap it in. Thanks to everyone who has ever helped me in building my rig. With out you guys I would be on the sideline watching everyone. Thanks to everyone.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  2. blazindorito

3. blazindorito

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Complete TBI being the wiring and all?

It's pretty straightforward, just bolt the stuff in, run the wiring, give it power, and go.

Of course, things like the fuel system and electrical tend to give a bit of hassle, but all workable issues.

5. blazindorito

Almost everything, I didnt get the fuel pump relay. I have everything else. Do I need to change the distributor? I currently have a brand new Edelbrock Performer intake for my carb, I would like to keep it so would I need an adapter to convert from carb to TBI?

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Now that you are into specifics, you'll probably start getting more answers.

You'll need a "new" distributor. Used is fine, best to get something you KNOW works though. ECM controls timing, old one won't work. You CAN work around this, but I don't see much advantage to not letting the ECM handle timing. Bolting in the correct dist. is going to be the easiest/fastest solution.

As to manifold, IIRC you will need an adapter. I'm not really up on TBI, but I've been paying attention and theory of operation is similar to TPI. There are others here that know TBI much better than myself.

7. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

This link may help. It is one of the members here.

http://www.taildragger.info/K5/TBI/

I am doing a swap right now. I got a complete wire harness w/ecm and small dist. on e-bay cheap. I just need a the TBI part. I am also going to make a TBI adapter. The wire harness needs a little work. There is someone on e-bay that sells a few sensors as well including an knock module. I do not know if I am going to use the knock module. Here is a TBI wiring diagram that may help as well. I am using 88 k-5 exh manifolds that will fit perfectly with an 85 k-10.
    Hope this helps.

T.J.
    www.tjsperformance.com

http://olympiafj60.home.comcast.net/TBI_wiring_diagrams.PDF