Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI to Carb conversion?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88trailblazer, Apr 18, 2004.

1. 88trailblazer

88trailblazer 1/2 ton status

I've got an 88 Blazer with the 305 TBI. I've been having some problems with the TBI and I was thinking of converting it to a carb setup. I already have a Holley 4 barrel carb and a Holley intake from a previous project.-------- Is ths a good idea or just a waste of time? ------ What would I have to buy or replace? ------- What happens to the computer?
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I personally wouldn't do that swap. I gave up my carb for fuel injection and would do it again in a heart beat. I would try to fix the TBI.

If you decide to do the swap you will need the manifold, gaskets, carb, Tstat & housing, maybe a new rad hose, large cap HEI distributor would make life easier, fuel pressure regulator, and other things too probably.

Harley

3. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I personally wouldn't do that swap. I gave up my carb for fuel injection and would do it again in a heart beat. I would try to fix the TBI.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Harley. I'd just fix the TBI. I have no use for carbs any more unless I started racing again...

Is your SES light on? Can you get a code?

4. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

Post what is going wrong w/ your tbi in the garage or here. There are alot of tbi guys in here that can prob. help you fix it. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

How about if you take all the TBI stuff off and mail it to me. Then I will ship you a Q-Jet in good working order /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. 88trailblazer

Well, for starters, the truck is running super rich. I can't drive with the windows open without smelling like a mechanic. (no offense to all you mechanics /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif ) I already replaced the TBI gasket and at the same time installed a TBI spacer from Cyberdyne, without any luck. Also the SVC light keeps coming on and the truck starts to loose power. Oh yea, and the engine surges some times.

I plan to spend some good time and money on my truck's upgrades, but I need to take of this 1st.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

7. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Sounds like you need to put it on a diagnostic computer. Most places will do it for 50 or so clams some auto parts stores do it for less if they can sell you some parts to fix it.

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Check for trouble codes. The computer will tell you what may be wrong.
    Heres how:GM trouble code info
    Just a guess. But it sounds like a bad 02 or MAP sensor.

9. skyrocco16v

skyrocco16v Registered Member

i'm thinking either bad O2 sensor, or ECT sensor, or exhaust leaks? if there is one before the o2, fresh air could be getting into the exhaust, causing the o2 to show lean.... in turn the PCM will richen the mixture... just my 2 cents worth...
    corey in NH

10. civicstomper

civicstomper 1/2 ton status

Not to hijack this post, but my truck has also been having TBI issues for a while now and I'm still trying to fix it. You mentioned an ECT sensor, what is that? I have already done MAP, O2, TPS, plugs, wires...and if there is something I overlooked I would definitely give it a try.

Again, sorry to change the subject, and good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -pete /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

There is something you've overlooked, civicstomper. Diagnosis before parts changing. Just throwing parts at it until it runs better will cost you a boatload of money, and you could have a shorted wire or a vacuum leak the whole time which would be damn near free to fix!!

I would suggest getting WIN ALDL and starting to diagnose problems that way. I've got it if you can't find it online by typing WIN ALDL into a search engine. Shoot me an email if you need it and I'll send it to you.

12. civicstomper

civicstomper 1/2 ton status

thanks, you've got an email /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. 88trailblazer

[/ QUOTE ] Is your SES light on? Can you get a code?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I took it to shop and they found no codes at all. They told me that after doing a compression test, it was blowby from the piston rings. Now would this explain all the problems i been having with the engine? If so, what are my options? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If the ses light comes on and no codes are stored. It is probabally the dist module. Your sympton of the light coming on and loosing power. Sounds like a dist module going bad.

15. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well if it was blow by from the pistons i dont see why it would start to loose power after the light comes on like u said, im certainly no expert , but thats what it seems to me. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif