Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI to carb.......possibility??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLzr4x4ngkid, Jun 23, 2000.

1. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

I know it's possible to go from the TBI to carbeurated, but the question is, what all will I have to do?? I know what has to be done with the engine, but for fuel lines and pump, etc. What do I have to do?? I'm getting crappy gas mileage with the TBI and it's so much easier to work on carbs than it is with fuel injection. Any thoughts and comments would be nice. Thanks.

Alex
    [​IMG]What me get stuck? NEVER!![​IMG]

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

What kind of mileage are you getting?
    If gas mileage is a big concern, I don't think swapping out the TBI for a carb is really the answer for better mileage as, in general, the fuel injection will get better mileage than a carb.
    As for working on them, I'd rather tinker with the TBI anyday rather than tear a Quadrajet apart or try to tune it.
    A friend of mine recently replaced the Holley carb on his 350 powered Jeep with a factory TBI setup and absolutely loves it

3. 87Blzr

87Blzr 1/2 ton status

Agree with 6.2Blazer. Just went through the TBI vs. carb debate. If you prefer carbs then go for it but do it for the right reasons. To say the TBI gets bad gas mileage so you want a carb is the wrong reason. TBI will usually give much better gas mileage than a carb. 6.2 is also righ in the fact TBI is easy to tear apart compared to a carb, especially a Qjet. TBI's are pretty basic, its the fear factor of looking at them that scares everyone. There are also about two thirds less parts to a TBI compared to a Qjet. If your getting bad mileage with the TBI it could be something as simple as a $5 sensor. It would be a shame to give up the simpleness and drivability of a TBI system to go to a carb just because of that. I'm not knocking carbs and if you really want a carb then do it but at least do it for that reason and not because there is possibly something wrong with your TBI. Hell, I'll take spare parts for my TBI if you trash it

87 K5 Siverado, 68 SS 396 Camaro

4. BLzr4x4ngkid

It's not the mileage, it's the fact that there is a bunch of stuff that can be done with a carb. I was just thinking about it. Thanks for the replies.

Alex

5. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

There are a lot of things that can be done to a TBI as well, after I rebuilt my motor I had the TBI bored out and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator added, you can get larger injectors as well. I tore the TBI apart myself, it is like the easyist thing to do, not very many parts at all. I have over 169,000 miles on my TBI with no problems. Call turbocity.com or arizonaspeed & marine for options on what to do.

Steve

6. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

pro's and cons

pros of tbi
    1. easy starting. not cold natured
    2. problems are easily detected
    3. extreme angles/upside down possible
    4. easy to work on.
    5. gas mileage
    cons of TBI
    1. cost of repairs (yes it may be a $5 sensor but it can be a 100+ computer or something else)
    2. tuneability not easy all info is "burned" onto chips
    3. fuel pumps expensive and hard to change
    4. "hop ups" harder especially with speed density system
    5. diagnostic tools are more expensive.
    pros of carb
    1. ease of maint (once you get the hang of it)
    2. cheap parts and rebuild
    3. easier to hop up motor
    4. millions of hop up parts which the carb can manually compensate for
    5. rebuilding/ tuning can use most small tool sets
    cons of carb
    1. gas mileage
    2. most cold natured "hard starting"
    3. fuel bowls can drain into carb at extreme angels not allowing running at high angles
    4. takes some getting used to problem solving/ tuning "not hard though"

This is all I can think of sitting here at work if anybody else has more input or disagrees feel free

Wasn't me.............

7. bart

bart Registered Member

hey, if you get rid of your TBI...I'll buy that and your computer!

8. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Forget the carb dude. You need to save your money for some 4.56 gears! It'll be easier for you to chase women with those. lol I saw you behind Coastal the other night with some hotties...but I wasn't driving the Blazer so I didn't stop. lol

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

9. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

Price ?have you price a 84 up stock smog holly carb their like 800$ and they dont sell kits for them they came 0n some blazers and subs in Ca that sucks.

10. BLzr4x4ngkid

Yes, 4.56 gears!! That sounds good to me. Hotties?!?! Damn straight, only the best man. I think anyway. HAHA Like I said, if you see me, stop and say "Hi." Might see you soon. Later

Alex