Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI to carb questions.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by y5mgisi, Jun 19, 2004.

1. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Firstly i can not figure out how to search. I searched for every possible thing to search for and it gives me the same exact posts each time that have NOTHING to do with this swap. *rant over*
    Now i know this was descused befolre but i cant find the thread. I need to know what all is involved just as an ivestigation. As of now my plans arnt to do this swap but if its easy enough i might just consider it. I need to know what all exactly to do i know all the basic stuff like new intake and dist. and stuff. but how would i do fuel, make the speedo stil work, cruise control still work and every thing else.

2. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Well you dont need a new distrubutor. It will still work all it needs is keyed 12V hooked to the positive on the coil. Thats what im running in my 454. You will need an intake with the 87 up bolt pattern. Your speedo should still work even without the injection harness hooked to the computer. Your cruise will work if your speedo does. I'd used an adjustable fuel pressure regulator with a return line to cut pressure to 7 psi.

3. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Cool good info. How will the dist. vacume advane and centrifugal advance though?

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Just get a distributor for a 76 350 or simillar. Mine is supposed to be on a Nova. Its curved fine for me. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

I did this to my 89 TBI, Used Edelbrock Performer #2104 manifold, picked up a HEI distributor, eliminated the electric pump and used a mechanical one and recently replaced the old Q-jet for a new one, nedless to say it's running great.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

What problems did you run into with this. How did you get rid of the tbi harnes but stll make every thing work? How did you just eliminate the in tank pump? does the speedo still work? what about the other guages?

7. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

Mine basically came off a 89 and I sold the tbi system and the guy I sold it didn't want the block so I got the intake and used the distributor and carb off the stock 84. If your speedo is mechanical it shouldnt make a difference.

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

need HEi/ for a 75-up 3/4 ton or 1 ton or larger that did nbot have EST sysrt