Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI to carburation

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by burbanbeast, Jun 4, 2006.

1. burbanbeast

burbanbeast 1/2 ton status

is this a good or bad idea? all im runnin through is mud so my area of need is power. then the question is do i build up the TBI or start buildin a carburated manifold on up to swap in my truck and if i go to carburated what all do i need to swap? ive heard ill have to swap out distributors, is this right? will it eliminate my o2 sensor? help me out guys please

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

TBI heads themselves suck for power, so swapping the manifold alone is kind of pointless, especially if you are talking top end/high RPM performance.

3. burbanbeast

burbanbeast 1/2 ton status

im lookin for the lower end/middle range kinda stuff

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

mud and low/mid range? That's typically not what people want, but if you want low-mid power, the TBI heads are pretty effective making power there, but swapping a poorly flowing intake and leaving the poorly flowing heads in place isn't going to net the gains swapping both would have.

If you want mid to low end power, leave what you've got (TBI) or plan on swapping heads, something like Vortecs. And all the associated costs.