Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tbi too leane!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mightywhitey_k5, Jan 31, 2005.

1. mightywhitey_k5

mightywhitey_k5 Registered Member

I am sick of smelling rotten eggs every time i let off the gas with my back window down. some one please help. Thanks.

2. mightywhitey_k5

SORRY for accidently double posting i f-ed up dose any one know how to ritchen my O2/gas mixturt on my 87 tbi?

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Do some research on catalytic converters. Or have you already and found that this is indicative of a lean condition?

Friend put a Catco(?) converter in his Monte Carlo, ever since, rotten egg smell.

The stuff I've read says that is a "typcial" smell, but I don't think so in his case, it shouldn't be so bad.

4. 1badv10

1badv10 Registered Member

i also have been told that the "rotten egg" smell means that the cat is working properly.

as for making it run a lil richer look into www.cfm-tech.com they have an adjustable fuel pressure reg. that goes into the throttle body and a guage to set it to the optimal ratio for your modifications.

just wondering are you getting a check engine light or anything like that?

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

i have just the opposite- mine is too rich. Im thinking the o2 must not be working correctly, but...

6. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

too rich, not too lean

The rotten egg smell is a result of a rich A/F, not lean. The cat is not getting hot enough to kick of the reaction.

Replcase your O2 sensor and check for leaky injectors. If this is only happening on deceleration I would also check the MAP sensor. Make sure there isn't a leak in the vacuum line for the MAP.

7. mightywhitey_k5

thanks for the info fellas. i didnt think a bout the cats but i dont think it could be them, i just instaled a dule set up compleat from the man all the way back. That adjustment sounds cool ill have to check that out.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Dual setup? Dual cats?

I'm no exhaust expert, but I do know they need to heat up to a certain point to "fire". If you cut the amount of exhaust passing through a cat by 50%, heat "loss" could be a factor.