Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI, TPI, Projection, ect...Cheap, good, and easy???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by laketex, Apr 30, 2002.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

What's the cheapest fuel injection setup that will work good on my 350? I know that's a rather general question so let me give off some more parameters. I've got a stock engine now, but I plan to bump it into the 350 to 400 hp range next winter. I'd like to run Vortec heads, but if it's not possible with my intake options, I'd reconsider. TBI can be had pretty reasonable, as can the 2D projection. But TPI is more expensive. This is mainly a low speed 4x4 truck. Not much street driving. What's my best option on a major budget to get the no stall feature of injection?

2. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

If you were to run a fairly stock (slightly modified) 350, you can get a stock TBI unit, and have it re-chipped
    <$

I am leaning to the Holley TBI for your future upgrades.
    $

... But when you change from a stock 350 and go to the modified 400HP version, you will need to get a different TBI CFM.

Maybe you should call Holley, and see if they suggest you can run there 900CFM unit on the stock engine, and de-tune it... Not sure if you can de-tune that 900CFM unit enough.

Or you can get a Howell- F.I. unit, and simply change the chip, when you change, cam, and heads. I think the chip burning is $125.00
    $$

Last option is the Edelbrock TPI system.
    $$$

Good luck.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you want cheap and easy go with the Projection.They are a pretty easy install and work with any ignition. But it is only good for around 300 hp max.Not the 350 to 400 you want. Some people like the projection some dont. The few people I know who have used it have had problems with the injectors leaking and keeping it in tune. But I have heard the newer units work better than the eariler models they reciently re-designed their TB and injectors to susposidly correct these problems.

The stock TBI is very dependable and works great and can be bought used pretty cheap but will never reach the horsepower numbers you want either. About the max you can get with a high flow stock unit/reprogramed chip is around 325. The new aftermarket systems from or<a target="_blank" href=http://www.turbocity.com> Turbocity.com are around 1200 bucks and you will need a 1980 or up Dist.

That leaves the Holley Comander TBI system You can get them in flow rates from 650 to 900 cfm. They are a very versitile system they come with software and can be programed with a lap top computer/PC to match the performance mods you do to your engine. They do require a square bolt manifold to bolt up to and a 1980 or up distributor.. They are still cheaper than TPI.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/C950/C950TB/C950TB.html>Holley TBI</a>

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

thanks for the answers so far guys. As far as expense, I guess I didn't define cheap properly. $500 would be the absolute maximum for me. That probably means buying used for sure, but I've got time to gather parts...but out of the realm of a 4di commander system.

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I'll only say this - all the listed systems above are pretty good. One correction on TPI - it does NOT have to be expensive if you buy the hardware right. I've seen full systems go for $300ish...........so you bolt that on, add the fuel pump for $120ish, run new steel lines for $30 and away you go. Yes, there are other items to deal with (VSS, VATS) but it can be done for $500-750. Yes, that is more than your $500 level but keep in mind what you get for that difference...............

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

how hard is the tpi to use with vortec heads? does anyone make a manifold that will fit both?

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Scoggin Dickey has it for I believe $400................that would be a hot combo to try. TPI and Vortec............

8. tmanofcali

tmanofcali 1/2 ton status

frank,
    thats what im doing!!!!!!!!!!!!......lol

later, todd

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

argh...now we're getting expensive. Thinking about going stock TPI, and modding my current setup with a cam and intake. Then when the money tree grows past a mere sapling, accumulating the parts for TPI.

10. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>If you just want to drive at angles without stalling for as little money as posible, why not propane injection? I heard it can be done for little money

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If I can ever aford it, I'd like to get a multi-point electronic fuel injection system. They only cost around $2,000.00 on up.

12. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

"Only"? I could put together a full-on TPI setup for less than half that...............easily.

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I hear ya, but I really like "MPEFI"

14. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

TPI is Multi Port Electronic Fuel Injection. That just means that there is a separate injector for every cylinder. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Okay, I didn't know that. I don't know alot about fuel injection systems. Just what I've read in the JEG'S catalog.

16. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Dont really have a place for the bottle...would that be a dual system or a propane only system? I just bought a new fuel cell though and wouldn't want to lose my butt on that.

17. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

This is a pretty good place to learn about it. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif There's some good reading about GM's V8 port injection systems here: http://www.world-net.net/home/rodney/horsepower/chevysmallblock2.html

The thing that makes TPI very attractive for owners of heavy trucks, is that each intake runner is close to 2 feet long. It buillds excellent air charge velocity at low rpms and makes some fabulous torque. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif