Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI/TPI wiring questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mudzer, Apr 14, 2000.

1. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

OK alll you TPI/TBI swappers out there. I just bought a complete TBI setup for my K5 and need to ask a few questions. What sources (wiring diagram)did you use to wire up your system. Which wires get hooked up to the factory bulkhead at the firewall? How did you do the fuel return line, did you use a resivoir? What pump did you use? Filter? I have alot more questions, so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>
    1978/91 K5 Blazer

2. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

I have a manual that has the diagram ill dig it out tommorrow and scan it you can buy a pump from napa for a 87 and later v10 blazer 5.7ltr also the second line is a return line that dumps the fuel back into the tank to keep constant pressure its a loop system ,did you get the intake manifold? also you need a remote coil hei distrubutor and the controler it advances electronically you set the dist to 0'.

3. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

I think in summit there is a small manual specific to this subject.

4. TPI86

TPI86 1/2 ton status

I installed a TPI system, used a Painless Wiring Harness-paid approx. $250.
    Followed the instruction with the kit and had no problems at all. I used the factory return line from the mechanical fule pump. I installed a high flow fuel pump and filter approx. 3 ft. from the fule tank. 86 Blaz runs great. There is a book out there I believe it called TPI Swappers Guide. Hope this helps.........

5. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I have simplified my wiring harness and now have a total of 12 wires that go into the firewall bulkhead. I have traced every wire in the harness and now found that I have only 5 that get actual 12 volt fused power from the ignition switch. The rest are wiring for VSS, ALDL connector, etc...

I need to know who sells a fuse block for the blade type fuses. I would prefer it to have 5 terminals. Plus here are some other things I need: Vehicle Speed Sensor, Knock Sensor, and fuel pump. I am hoping I can install a '87 or newer fuel tank sending unit and in tank fuel pump into my existing '78 tank. Anybody done this before?

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>
    1978/91 K5 Blazer