Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI tuning

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by beater_k20, Jan 15, 2007.

1. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i'd like to get into tuning my own trucks, as i'm planning some pretty big mods, as well as gear and tire size changes. i just cant see spending the money for a reprogram, and then not have it be 'right'. if i do it myself, i can just redo it if it isnt right.

what are you guys using as far as hardware and software? i'm currently in the market for a laptop, so i'll be able to do in vehicle tuning.

lets hear what you guys are using. :ears:

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

tunerpro rt is a fun one to play around with for free. Make sure you've got the 1227747 ECM definition (assuming that is what ECM you might use, or what you have now) and a .bin similar to your current stock rig, and have fun perusing everything GM did. For the life of me I can never recall the website I use (bookmarked somewhere else :() that you can search for downloadable .bin's, but it's in one of my posts over on thirdgen.org.

You can also search .bin's over at diy-efi.org (gmecm) but you still need to know what bin was used in a truck application.

But as Southernspeed will undoubtedly chime in, EBL seems to be the wave of the future.

At this point, I certainly would have gone with something other than EEPROM's and a pocket programmer 2 to do the tuning. The other embedded (USB, whatever) or "live" stuff is much more intuitive apparently, and just makes more sense. It also depends on how many vehicles you are talking about though as well...at least with EEPROM and a PP2, you could do multiple vehicles no problem, but burning/reburning is a hassle. EBL would require one for each vehicle, and not as cheap as the EEPROM's. (save for the one time PP2 purchase)

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i'll have to pull the glovebox out of my '93 and see what ECM is in there. hopefully my 4L60E wont cause me any problems.

where can i get tunerpro rt? and what is EBL?

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

OK, as predicted I'm going to bang on about EBL. Check out this thread
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184940&highlight=wow
    I've been working on it for a while and it's outstanding.
    EBL,Ostrich,TPrt,IAT sensor, WBo2 sensor and you have a self learning FULLY adjustable ECU. You can tune for big cams, high comp, trick heads...anything. It's easy to use and has great back up for tech in the shape of Thirdgen.org-DIY Prom-tuning with ELB, board.
    Not the cheapest set up but BY FAR the best. Take some time to read up on it, it really is a great package.

5. dyeager535

tunerpro rt can likely just be googled. Mark Manseur (SP?) is the creator.

Your '93 is probably not a '747 since the '747 to my knowledge was not used to control transmissions. (Even the '91 4L80E old body style trucks didn't use the '747) I'd suspect that if the ECM you deal with is supported, you could also tweak the transmission shift parameters.

Does EBL support transmission control as well Mark?

6. southernspeed

Good question. I don't believe it does in it's current form but it would be worth emailing BobR at DynamicEFI.com and chatting to him. It didn't support a high idle bump for OBA and welders untill I asked him if it was possible and then he wrote it in to the program overnight.
    Certainly worth asking him.

7. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

Being a 93 your probley running a E6 code, you can easily change to a 0D code which was used in the same ECM for 94-95 because 0D has more aftermarket support you can even run TPI on your current ECm in the future if you want to, having a 4l60E is even better with tuning you can set all your shift points and change line pressure to what you want, To get started buy a ALDL cable and start to data log to get fimlair with your truck, then pick up a few chips your will need theses http://www.moates.net/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=39. Theses do not need a UV light like the factory style which saves you money on equipment, You will also need a programer like a Pocket programer. Start Reading over at Thirdgen to get the real in depth info

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

:dunno: that's all greek to me.

the above mentioned software should have data logging, correct?

what's the pocket programmer you speak of? is it a piece of hardware? or is it software.

like i said, i'm totally new to this stuff.

i also looked at the ECM today. here are the numbers i got...

Serv No 16168625
    IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII (barcode)
    86BHAMK331312899
    -----------------------(preforation, maybe a removable tag?)
    16194285 BHAM
    86BHAMK331312899

9. 1979jimmy350

the pocket programer is hardware, its a device that you hook to your computer to burn the chips.
    Heres the links ofr every thing you should need
    Pocket Programer
    http://secure.transtronics.com/osc/product_info.php/cPath/55/products_id/304

Data Logging software and programing software
    http://tunerpro.markmansur.com/downloadApp.htm

computer chips
    http://www.moates.net/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=39

ALDL cable
    http://mastach.com/index.php?module=aldl_hardware&l=en

getting all this stuff will allow you to burn your own chips the right way

10. dyeager535

The .bin is the programming specific to the application. (engine, cam, vehicle, all that) Yours based on the info you provided is "BHAM". Easy to remember. :) You'll need to find that .bin to work with. The .bin is the info loaded on the PROM or "chip" as some call it.

16168625 is the ECM. That's the actual "hardware" of the computer. Essentially the particular ciircuit board. Probably looks like any other GM ECM from about 1981-1992, but the circuitry and pinout is different somehow from others.

To try and make this make a tiny bit more sense, the 16168625 ECM was probably used in your style truck whether it was a 4.3, 5.7, or 7.4L application (just making those up, but probably pretty close) but the .bin would be different for each one, because obviously for starters, fueling and timing for each engine would be different. So while your 5.7 is a BHAM, a 7.4 might be a BYOB.

And to top that all off, the PROM is so specific, that it will be an entirely different .bin name (something other than BHAM) for EVERY possible configuration. California or federal, rear gear differences, AC or not, auto vs. manual, and so on. So they are quite precise regarding application. The good thing is, that can all be changed as long as you've got the software to do it, and the proper information (ECM definition and .bin) to play with.

What THAT means is that while you may not be able to download a BHAM .bin, you might be able to find one that was for a manual trans application or whatever, same year/ECM, and just change that one to your needs.

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

so where exactly does one find the proper .bin? is there a website, or something included with the software?

12. 1979jimmy350

the best way to get the correct bin is to take it off your chip with the pocket programer

13. dyeager535

You can search thirdgen for that Broadcast Code ("BCC" which is BHAM in your case) in a general forum search, you can search diy-efi.org (GMECM) ftp area for it, and the one I can't think of. If you search my username over on thirdgen there is a post I made (not started) that probably contains "bccfind" and links to the only site I know of that you can punch in the BCC and it will allow you to download it IF someone has uploaded it.

As mentioned you can pull the .bin off of your chip, but you've got to have the hardware to do it. Not really necessary if you just want to see what you are getting into. :)

14. Big91RustyBucket

Big91RustyBucket 1/2 ton status

Would this work vs the one you posted?
    Also you remember timmay's where can one fine that embeded locker's whats up display?

http://www.moates.net/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=48

15. southernspeed