Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI upgrade, fuel line routing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I will be working on my carb to TBI upgrade this weekend. I was wondering how others have routed the fuel lines. All I know for sure is that I'll me mounting my fuel pump far back on the frame near the tank, spliced into the rigid fuel lines. I have a return line available at the mechanical fuel pump that I can tap into wherever.

Bottom line is that I'll have two big rubber fuel hoses that need to get up to the TBI unit. Should I just route them up from the approximate area where the old mechanical fuel pump was, or is it better to come up from behind the motor, or what? The stock carb setup has a steel line that snakes through close to the block, so I can't copy that exactly. There's only one now anyway, since the return is at the pump.

Pics would be awesome.

2. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

The factory TBI braided lines run up the back of the engine, passenger side.

3. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

Yeah, they run from the frame up over the trannys bellhousing passenger side.

4. Mastiff

How are they held in place to keep from flopping around? I was thinking of going from the frame (passenger side) just behind the T-case and then up, but I can't see much to tie the lines down to.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If it helps any, in other locations when I did my fuel lines, I used the stock clamps for the fuel line from the other side.

url=http://dyeager535.topcities.com/TPI/images/exhaust1.jpg]fuel lines[/url]

If I was going up the backside of the engine, I would run them over to the back of the cylinder head, since the accessory bolt holes are there. I'd clamp the lines to the head with those clamps.

Of course, you might have interference with the exhaust, just make sure thats not a problem. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

[​IMG]

sorry, tried to show the image for ya, darn red <font color="red"> X </font> /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Mastiff

The 250 PSI rubber line I have is pretty stiff stuff. I decided to go from the fuel pump on the passenger side frame (about aligned with the T-case) then up at an angle from behind the motor, over the tranny. I wire tied them to the T-case brace, then it's pretty much a straight shot to the TBI. Since the lines come out at angles, I put one on each side of the distributor. I hope they don't get chafed up or anything... I don't see any good places to tie them down above the tranny, and I probably couldn't reach anyway.

TBI inlet is driver's side, right? Outlet on passenger side?

8. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

if chaffing looks possible, take 6 inch peice of heater hose and slice it length wise and ziptie it arond the hosewhere the rubbing will occur /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. Mastiff

[ QUOTE ]
    if chaffing looks possible, take 6 inch peice of heater hose and slice it length wise and ziptie it arond the hosewhere the rubbing will occur /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Good idea. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No idea on routing...I bent all mine to fit the drivers side TPI inlets.