Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI Upgrade

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tiger9297, Jul 29, 2004.

1. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I have a 90 K5, and I'm about to install a new engine. stock TBI is 450 CFM i think. Howell makes one that is 750 CFM. Has anyone tried one of these? If not what is the best way to get fuel to a much stouter engine? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I think the Howell unit is a 4 barrel one or a bored out 454 throttle body. Either way it won't work on your setup. Stock manifold has the same size bore holes as the stock throttle body, this means you can't put a larger throttle body on and get any real benefits. Its like breathing through a straw, cut a little off the straw, you are still breathing through a damn straw! Need either to upgrade to a carburated manifold with an adaptor with holes to match or Holley makes a TBI intake with 2" bore holes. On my 89 I will install a 454 TB(stock 2" bore) and Holley intake.

3. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

yea i was planning on changing the manifold, heads, cam, and high compression pistons. I would like to go with a multipoint system but that's a little pricey. The Howell TBI is much cheaper.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I can't find this unit on Howell's site. All I find is almost standard 500 CFM units and the Holley 670.

5. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Yea if I remember it wasn't on their site the last time I looked either. Have no idea why. I had to call them to get the info on it.