Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI V8 swap... a few Q's...

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by bowtiepower00, Nov 14, 2003.

1. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

TBI V8 swap... a few Q\'s...

I've been toying with the idea of throwing a V8 into an S10. I'm not concerned with the mounts, exhaust, tranny problems, etc. The truck will be a regular cab 2WD. I would like to start with a TBI injected truck with cruise and A/C and work from there. The motor will be a 350, but I would like to keep the TBI. The trans will most likely be a 700R4, but if I find a T5 truck then I might consider that route. I would like to keep the factory ECM in the truck and basically just swap the PROM and drop in the 350 (complete w/ new throttle body) with a serpentine setup, A/C compressor, etc. Is this doable? I would think that if I replaced a 4.3 it should be pretty straightforward, but what years of the 4.3 were TBI? If I used one of the smaller sixes or a four I know that the transmission bolt pattern would be different, but what about the engine wiring and controls? I would assume that I could reuse the stock ECM with a different PROM, but I'm not sure. What years of the smaller motors were TBI? Anyone have any experience with this? I don't want a dragster, just a quick daily driver with some creature comforts. (a real sleeper)

Also, I keep reading about you guys finding clean older S10's with bad drivetrains for cheap, hook a brother up...

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Re: TBI V8 swap... a few Q\'s...

EFI started in 87 and so did serp. belts. I think most of the wiring will be right for a 350TBI in a truck that had a 2.8 or 4.3 TBI. I don't know for sure if you can run the same computer. s-series.org has alot of good info on the swap.

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

TBI started in '86, serpentine belts started in '87. The computer will have to be changed to run a 350 as will the Throttle body itself. The wiring is basically the same between almost all TBI setups. Getting a truck that is already TBI is definitly the route to go.

4. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

To clarify, I believe TBI started on the S trucks and other V-6 applications in 86, fullsize trucks with V-8s in 87.

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    To clarify, I believe TBI started on the S trucks and other V-6 applications in 86, fullsize trucks with V-8s in 87.

[/ QUOTE ]
    It actually started in '85 on the 4 cyl S10's then in '86 started on the 2.8L V6 in S10's. Fullsize started in '87 with all motors.

6. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

I tried to do this swap in my 91 s-15 jimmy 4x4. It was a 4.3 tbi origonally. I dropped in a 5.7 and kept all the serpentine accesories. Alot of customization had to be done to kept the 4wheel drive but you dont have to worry about that.What i did find that might trouble you is the v8 and v6 wiring are different.The spark timing control and knock sensor work differently between the 2 engines. when i dropped in the 8cyl i got a v8 throttle body and tbi distributor 2 match. I alo put a v8 prom in the v6 ecm. It ran but it would only idle, as soon as you moved the throttle it would hestiate back fire and stall. So i tried installing a v8 ecm.It would idle but again it would backfire and stall under acceleration. I played with it for about 3 weeks trying to see if i could correct the v6 wiring harness to work with the v8 but had no success.So now a holley and vacuum advance hei now reside under the hood.I did this swap about 2 years ago but if you have any other questions ill see if i can help. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif