Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI/Vortec setups

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 91GMCSuburban, Oct 3, 2003.

1. 91GMCSuburban

91GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I am in the process changing my TBI heads with the L31 heads, but would like to use a better flowing intake than what GM offers in it's $300 solution. Anybody done enything like this? If so, what did you do and use?

Anybody use non-TBI intake with adapter?

2. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

edelbrock makes a tbi vortec manifold.scoggin dickey has it.

3. 91GMCSuburban

All I've seen from edelbrock is either tbi or vortec, not both.

4. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

This is what SDC handles:

TBI Vortec SB Chevrolet Intake
    $309.50

This is a GM performance intake

5. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Edelbrock DOES sell an intake that fits both the L31 heads AND the stock TBI unit. I'd know, I have one on my Burb! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif Its cheaper than the GMPP intake, but doesn't have any provision for the EGR.

Call them up and ask for the PN... I love my intake... I just wish I had a better more torquey cam than what I have now. But lemme tell you, this motor LOVES to yank the 7000#+ Burb along at hi RPM on the high way! It really skoots! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good luck!

-Dan

6. 91GMCSuburban

What did you do about the EGR situation? Does it not effect the working of the ECM?

7. KRAZIE87K5

I just left the EGR OUT of the system.... it throws a SES light only once in awhile on the highway. I still get great gas mileage, and I haven't noticed any adverse affects.

One day I'll get on the ball and have a new chip made to eliminate the EGR. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

-Dan

8. 91GMCSuburban

Thanks. What did you do for an exhaust manifold?

9. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

that part number is for the GM Performance tbi-vortec intake which is exactly what I have on my 88' vortec setup, and not an edelbrock. I have the Edelbrock catalog and I searched through it pretty good and never a tbi-vortec intake. Is it a special order item? because I don't see it on their website and I can't find it on Jeg's, Summit, or Scoggin Dickey.

10. 91GMCSuburban

I just called Edelbrock and they do not carry a manifold to work with both TBI and Vortec heads.

11. KRAZIE87K5

BS! I've got one on my truck! L31 heads and a TBI on top. I wouldn't lie to you folks... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

-Dan

12. KRAZIE87K5

When I get home tonight, I'll climb under the hood and see what info I can pull of the intake for you. Thats too wierd. I SWEAR I have an Edelbrock intake on the truck....

-Dan

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Edelbrock casts SDPC2000.com's TPI/Vortec manifold, and doesn't sell a version of it, so I wouldn't doubt that they cast GM's as well.

Dan, maybe GM convinced edelbrock to stop selling their own version? I asked Edelbrock about the TPI base, and they told me they cast them, but they did not sell them.

14. KRAZIE87K5

[tail tucked]
    So what I have is a spread bore Edelbrock intake for L31 heads. I used an old Holley adapter to go from spread bore to the TBI.
    [/tail tucked]

My bad guys... Looks like I slipped this time. Maybe my old age is catching up with me. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

-Dan

15. 91GMCSuburban

That's cool. It seems people are getting the Edelbrock TBI intake confused with the GM Vortec/TBI intake.
    What intake did you use and did you use the 350 TBI or a 454 TBI? Also, does the adapter plate or intake allow for a connection to the brake booster?

16. KRAZIE87K5

I used the stock 350 TBI unit. The intake I used was the spreadbore intake, Edelbrock PN 2116. Here's the pic, and the description:

[ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]
    Based on the popular and powerful Edelbrock #2101, this dual-plane intake is designed for the street rod, industrial and engine swap market utilizing 262-400 c.i.d. Chevy V8s with 1996 and later Vortec (L31) cast iron or the new Edelbrock E-Tec aluminum heads. Manifold has provisions for external water bypass and may be used on either Vortec blocks or 1995 and earlier blocks. No provision for exhaust heated chokes. Accepts both square-bore and spread-bore carbs and late model waterneck, alternator, HEI and air conditioning brackets. Will not fit under stock Corvette hood. Available with standard finish or polished. For high performance engines operating from 1500-6500 rpm, see the Performer RPM Vortec #7116 manifold below.

Performer Vortec (non-EGR) ....#2116*

[/ QUOTE ]

The adapter I used DOES NOT have provision for the booster. I tapped the rear vacuum port, and split it off for brakes, cruise, heater, etc. I would have liked to have the large port for the brakes, but they way I have it setup right now is good enuf - seeing as it stops just fine even with the trailer in tow. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I relocated the MAP/ESC bracket out in front of the TBI, seeing as there is no provision to mount it back on the passenger side of the engine. I also had to *ahem* modify the throttle linkage bracket, and the coil bracket. No biggie.

The ECM's CTS is relocated to the front of the intake... I didn't have any problems with that other than it was a stretch for the factory harness.

Other than that... I think thats all there is to know!

Hope that helps. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Dan

17. 91GMCSuburban

That does help, thanks for the info.

Gene

18. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Anyone use a pro-jection setup on a vortec headed 93 block?

I just found me a free 2bolt tbi motor that ate some bearing... I'm thinking about, SOMEDAY, having it machined modifying it to a new setup 4bolt, 383 with vortec heads, and doing the pro-jection intake mod and why not while I'm dreaming tossing on a turbo for some more ponies /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Then if thats not enough how about a cold air intake with the dry nitros system /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

AH the dream world.... be back to earth in a few /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

19. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Pro-jection is the Holley system that no one seems to like much, right?

Edelbrock's got a system out I think, know a guy running 12's with it.

20. KRAZIE87K5

{thread hijack}
    I'd say to use a BBC TBI unit if you think you really need more juice. Don't bother with the Holley system, unless you are willing to spend big bucks for the digital system, and spend countless hours fiddling with it.

I LOVE MY GM TBI INJECTION!!!

-Dan