Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI w/ open air filter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by IDGMC, May 10, 2005.

1. IDGMC

IDGMC 1/2 ton status

I installed a K&N air filter with the chrome housing that I had laying around on my 91 k5 with a 350/tbi. This morning when I started, I heard a loud sucking air sound. It seemed to go away after the truck warmed up. Is there any problem with running this type of airfilter on this set up? should I put the old metal housing back on?
    thanks

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have the xtreme on my 89 no problems :cool1:

3. NEplainsman

NEplainsman Registered Member

the loud noise was the idle air control-normal sound,and no it should'nt hurt to run an open element filter but who want's hot underhood air?it does'nt build horsepower,your stock airbox with a tube sucking up outside air will get you more power-just wont look as cool!

4. IDGMC

IDGMC 1/2 ton status

So I should sell this one to a buddy and just put in a k&n that will fit inside my stock housing

5. FWP

FWP CRS

Yup, IAC sound, no worries.

Hey Blazinid, what size air cleaner are you running? I had a problem finding the housing that would clear all the stuff mounted on the intake. I wound up using a 10" diameter filter and housing.

6. IDGMC

IDGMC 1/2 ton status

I think its 14" X 6" Its pretty damn big. I ordered it from summit about 5 years ago and its been in storage. Its the k&n filter with upper and lower chrome housing. sits just fine and clears everthing.

7. FWP

FWP CRS

Ok, cool, thanks. I'll look over at summit, and see what might be different.

8. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm kinda late on this, but I run a K&N open element deal on my DD for the hell of it. It does the same thing, kind of a hissing sound until it warms up. Sounds dumb but I actually like it, reminds me not to hammer on it when it's cold.

9. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I had a slightly different case... had to install a 14x3" open filter on mine to eliminate hissing. I put a decent cam in the engine, and it was literally sucking air through the intake. the 14x3 is on until i can figure out a different snorkel/tube system to get a decent amount of air to the engine. my big worry about the open element is water and mud :(

10. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just put a 4" one on mine and it 'sucks' like hell too! I'm only putting it on there 'till I make/get hold of a sealed system. It's on a TBI conversion I put into my '78.

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I would go back to the stock housing / cold air intake. and put a K&N in that. The stock setup flows more than enough CFM for a stock TB. You will acually loose power with an open element air cleaner with TBI.
    TBI likes cold outside air, not hot air from the engine compartment. More noise does not equal more power.

12. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

they also cost 3 times as much.

I run a k and n filter with the chrome k and n extreme lid and noticed a slight increase in throttle response when i installed it.