Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI Wiring Diagram?

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by drftsub, Aug 24, 2006.

1. drftsub

drftsub Registered Member

Hey guys,
    I have bought a 87 burban to use as a donor to swap tbi / trans / x-fer case into my 75. Anyone have links to any wiring diagrams or what wires are needed to run the engine alone? I am just trying to save a little effort if someone has done it already.

thanks!!

-Nate

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

your best bet is going to be swaping the entire wiring harness over includingt he fuse box. 75 will have the old style glass fuses and you will want to upgrade to the newer style with the fuel injection.

3. drftsub

That is what I was planning to do to an extent, I am wondering if it would be easiest to just pull the entire harness, including gauges etc over to the 75. Has anyone done that ? how much harness do you need to cut out? ( if any? )

I am hoping to start on that end of swapping things next week. The 75 had some minor rust issues in the floor I ought to be done with today, and I need to get it done asap so I can sell the 86 jimmy ( works not giving raises fast enough , need $$$ )

thanks again for the help guys

4. 1979jimmy350

it would probley be easier to swap every thing from the 87, otherwise to get it perfect is going to require some time. Swaping the harnesses is really just a full day job if you have every thing that you need, so maby two good days of work with putting the engine and tranny in also

5. drftsub

huh, well maybe I will just try to dump it all over then and see whats left in the end. trim up the loose ends after the fact. I just hate extra wires ..... :)

6. 1979jimmy350

yea, the only extra wires there should be are if the 87 had power windows and other power stuff the 75 did not, and even then you would wire the 75 for all the fancy power accesories

7. drftsub

I planned on running all the power windows and locks on the front anyway ( I have them , might as well ) interesing. well , I will give that a shot and see where it lands. then I just have the rest of the damn suburban to get rid of , plasma into lots of little pieces I guess. lol

thanks again.

8. eagle mark

eagle mark 1/2 ton status

9. drftsub

awesome.....

any chance you have info on where to make the A/C work too ;)

thx again!!

10. chevyguybc

chevyguybc 1/2 ton status

sounds like what im doing, new rust free doors. then find a full power window setup... then tbi and full new wiring harness cant wait

any pics or tips on this

11. drftsub

Not yet,
    soon tho, I need this done before the weather gets bad.

I will post any info when I get it.

12. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Here a link to the TBI ECM pinout / wiring diagram

http://www.chevythunder.com/1227747_ecm_198892.htm

If you've got AC on both rigs, and 700r4s in both, then you shouldn't have any spare engine wiring anywhere. As mentioned above, the burb will use all the same connections inside as the pickup. Only a few hours job to pull all the wiring from the old truck, and donor truck, then swap it over. May need to cut a hole in the firewall for the TBI wiring to go through, but less that, everything should bolt straight up.

You shouldn't be cutting any wires unless you are cutting the white ground wires that run to the doors for the interior lights. Just install a single wire weatherpack connector between each, and that won't be a problem anymore.

If your donor truck has a 700r4, and the new truck doesn't, then simply tie the connector for the transmission up and out of the way, the ECM doesn't recieve any feedback from the transmission, and won't even notice the difference. It is simply there to act as a lockup controller. If the donor doesn't have AC, just search online and find out if you need to be sending a ground wire ot hot wire to the ECM for the idle step up, and leave the rest of the wiring stock.