Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI with Vortec Heads - New Intake

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by realsquash, Dec 3, 2000.

1. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

It's official, GM part number 12496821 is the aluminum intake that will allow the use of your original TBI unit wiht vortec heads on your small-block chevy. I don't know the cost, but it will prolly be between $120 and $180. It supports EGR, but in order to use it you will need to route the exhaust gas directly from the exhaust manifold up and into the EGR valve on the intake.

EGR can be done with all GM parts from 1996+ L31 350 truck engines:
    -12557828 exhaust manifold
    -10220275 EGR tube
    -12552329 EGR fitting
    -17052693 Optional vacuum-controlled EGR valve

GM is also making a q-jet/holley intake for the vortec heads (looks like an Edelbrock performer that fits vortecs)
    Holley is making a port-injection intake to fit the vortec heads. It is NOT a TPI base, and it appears the GM will not be making one either.

Happy swapping!

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

2. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the update, I cant decide if I should put vortecs on my 120,000 1990 350 or if I should wait and just buy a new vortec replacement motor. I wonder if the tbi would work with the vortec roller cam replacement long block? If I just buy the intake and heads now do youthink my computer would be able to deal with vortec heads without recalibrating?

3. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

I think the OEM ECM will be able to deal with the heads to a point. I would want to reprogram it or give howell a call. It would really be nice to see GM come out with a chip to do just what you want because I think it will become a common swap.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash