Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. jakentn 83k5

jakentn 83k5 Registered Member

I am really interested in putting a tbi system on my 83..anybody put one on an older model? what all is required..is it worth it?

2. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I am working out the bugs in my system. I bought all the TBI system from an '87 chevy van. It will be well worth it when I get it installed properly. I reused the factory harness and sensors. I bought the intake, Throttle body, distributor, harness, sensors, a 350 exhaust manifold with O2 sensor, and all associated parts for around $160 total. The harness is not real hard to decipher when you have a good motor manual. I went to the library and checked out an '87 mitchell manual and copied all the info about the TBI system and the wiring harness. I then went through the harness and traced all the wires. Then I eliminated all the wiring I did not need, like alternator wiring, oil pressure guage wiring, temp sensor wiring, etc... I basically made the wiring harness for the TBI only. It is completely stand alone. You may need a new PROM chip. I bought the TPI and TBI engine swappers guide and It was a little helpfull. I wish It would have told me how to wire it up, but it does not. It tells you to buy a service manual and wire it up accordingly. After you buy all your stuff, let me know if you need any help and I will try my best.

Later

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>
    1978/91 K5 Blazer

3. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Speaking of Proms...I can copy them,I have a reader/burner attached to my pc,all I need is one good chip to make copies...

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

4. Nrose07

Nrose07 1/2 ton status

Go to a junkyard, buy the parts, don't worry about a intake, get a 454tbi adapter(Holley also sells this GM part with their name), a good fuel pump, and a Painless Wiring harness. Easy. The harness you can buy from Summit Racing and it will be a clean and simple swap. For the chip contact Electronic Street and Performance, Smokey Moutain SD. They will burn you a prom that is spec for your motor, cam, intake, c.i., exhaust, etc. Matt

Displacement, cubes, and did you say you drive a riceburner???

5. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

One of the magazines...I think Chevy Truck Classics this month has an article about an Arizona Speed and Marine TBI conversion.

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

6. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Hey there Eagle,

What would you charge an ole Brother of the K5?????

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>
    1978/91 K5 Blazer

7. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Provide me with a chip to copy and I will do the copy for nothing, you pay shipping. Anybody else needs a copy after that pays parts and shipping, this way we get to share....

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1