Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Doug, Oct 25, 2001.

1. Doug

Doug Registered Member

What should I expect to pay (ballpark) for a complete stock TBI setup for a 350. I know this can differ greatly between salvage yards, and states, so what is a reasonable amount?

'85 K5, 350, 700r4, np208, 10 bolts, as of 10/2001; wish list is extensive.

2. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Here in phoenix the going rate is $800 for the complete motor with all the goodies still on it...ie:serp belt setup..tbi..intake..dist..etc. Another $200 or less will net you the late model K5 fuel tank with the sending unit/ fuel pump...just pull the sending unit and make sure the baffle isn't loose. And if you are nice you can usually get them to throw in all the stock fuel lines and filler neck you will need. $325 for a Howell harness to run it...will need a 7747 ecm with calpak and prom...and the Howell 2 pulse vss you can hang on your existing xfer case. and you should be in buisness.

Azblazer

1979 K5 350 TBI
    1976 K5 Chalet
    If it ain't got arizona pinstriping.....you ain't wheelin the pee outa her!

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

With his '85, (already has VSS) is there any reason he can't just use the entire TBI harness as it comes, just tell the 'yard not to cut it? And you mention the tank baffle(s) how are the TBI tanks baffled? The plastic stuff like they used on the cars which is a maze of passageways? (gathering this info for my impending TPI swap)

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yep, the baffles are a maze of plastic walls. They tend to get broken really easy. I just bought a perfect SWB tank for my K30. Looked like it had never had anything touch it. I was in a hurry so I didn't bother taking the few minutes to check the baffle. When I got home, I found there is a good sized crack in the bottom of the main compartment. [​IMG] Now I gotta take it back or find a way to patch it.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

5. BadDog

I'm not sure about just the TBI stuff but, when all was said and done, I got mine for just under $1000 with *EVERYTHING*. Alternator, AC compressor, PS pump, mounts, complete wiring harness (cap, engine, under dash), ECM, TBI, and a shiney new 350 crate motor (still had the tags). That price also included some other stuff like the engine oil cooler and lines, starter, and various odd pieces I saw lying around that I needed.

I even got to see it run (purred like a kitten) before it was pulled from an 89 Suburban. Hehe, I don't have a lift anymore (or place to put one) so I hauled the K30 (minus front cap) down to the yard on my trailer and had them set it in place instead of renting one. Still got a few things to finish before it moves on its own though. Fuel line work (man, wish I had gotten the frame hard lines), gas tank exchange (see other post) and figure out how to get hoses from the 350 to my diesel (wide format) 4 row radiator. Oh, and I gotta mate the diesel duel exhaust to the exhaust stubs I got with the engine. If that thing had a VSS, I missed it.

Russ

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Diesel exhaust will mate RIGHT up to the gas manifolds, as long as you use the EFE valve. (think thats it, little flapper on passenger side) Thats what I'm running. The diesel system is great IMO, as the stock hangars are EXCELLENT!

No VSS if it didn't have a 700 would be my bet. Used for TCC lock/unlock...doubt even TBI needed VSS, especially in trucks.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

7. BadDog

Wow! Gotta love them GMs! I never even considered that the diesel exhaust would bolt up! I just went out and took a look, yipee, looks like it will fit just fine. I don't have the valve but, It looks like it will still work fine. I like this MUCH better than trying to weld on rusty (although not bad) pipe.

Errr, I'll be quiet now, didn't mean to hijack your thread on TBI...

Russ