Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI ??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JF 89K5, Aug 1, 2000.

1. JF 89K5

JF 89K5 Registered Member

My '89 died last night while driving.

Everything electrical still worked fine. It would turn over fine, and even fired up a couple of times, but then quit right away. Luckily a guy stopped and towed me home (especially since my wife and two yr. old son were with).

This morning I tryed to start it and it fired right up and ran. The only thing I can think of; two days ago I was testing my wireing by the gas tank because my fuel guage is stuck at full. I also tested the pos. wire going to the fuel pump b/c I didn't know which was the pos. wire for the gauge. Could poking the hole in the wire to my fuel pump for the tester gauge have caused a short? I did drive through a little water, but it died 20 min after I drove through the water.

I replaced the in tank fuel pump a year ago. The only other thing I can think of is that since my fuel gauge is not workin(hasn't worked for a week now) could it have interferred with my fuel pump somehow?

All the fuses were good, I am puzzled why it started this morning and did not last night. Did some friendly Blazer gremlins fix my truck while I slept?? Don't we all wish!

Any other ideas?

I appreciate any input,

JF

2. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

The fule tank sender is realy show the gage ground so if the senders open or there is not a good ground to the tank the gage read way full! The in tank pump uses the same ground as the sender. There 3 wires coming out of the tank, !'s the ground and should be black, check to see if it goes to ground and does so well. A poor ground will also make the fuel pump run slow, lowering the prisure to the TBI. And yes the ground can back feed though the gage and the pump work for a bit .

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

It sounds like the fuel pump or the ignition module. Mine just went out and that sounds like what it was doing as it was breaking. If you have an aftermarket ignition system that might have sped ut up a little but they do go bad after a while.

90K5

4. JF 89K5

JF 89K5 Registered Member

Thanks for the replies, I will double check the ground. I did replace the fuel pump and ignition module a year ago, so I hope they are not the problem.

Another thought I had was vapor lock, it has been hot as he!! here(S. Idaho) 100+, could I be experiencing vapor lock due to the heat, and after sitting overnight it fixed itself? Just a thought.

JF

5. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    I doubt it is Vapor lock, I would bet money on it being a poor ground! That is almost a text book example "works one minute doesn't the next" , also I think with a bad ground the gauge would read full.

6. jmpd

jmpd 1/2 ton status

I had the ignition mod go out. I was driving down the road and the truck stopped. It would turn over and was getting fuel, after being towed home the truck started. i thought maybe it was a bad coil wire, so I replaced it. I drove the next day to my friends shop, and it ran fine. While it was sitting and idleing it shut off and would not start. It was the Ignition Mod

Michael