Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Adub, Sep 3, 2002.

1. Adub

Adub 1/2 ton status

I found an 89 Jimmy that I like. 123k miles, Great body and interior, bone stock except for some chrome wheels and some Goodyear 31's. I want to know what the performance potential of TBI 350's are? I know I could put headers on it, ignition and what not, but I am going to tow occasionally with this truck. If I put a nice torque cam in it, can the TBI compensate, or will I need to change to a carb set up.
    Thanks
    AW

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

You can get a decient ammount of power out of a TBI.
    (clicky)Edelbrock makes a complete power package for them that works pretty good. It has a computer grind Cam, Performer manifold, Headers and Exhaust system.
    The stock computer will usually tolerate cam grinds with no more than 214 or less degrees of duration and .450" or less of lift. if you want to put in a bigger cam you will probabally need to get a new chip burned for the computer
    If you want to modify the Throttle body for more power. Check out(clicky) turbocity.com
    I'm using a lot of their stuff in my 89 blazer and it works good.
    The Ignition system in the TBI Blazers is acually pretty good. You wont gain much by putting in something else. All I'm running is a MSD Blaster coil. It puts out plenty of juice and will run as high of RPM as I have ever wanted to take it to. I had a MSD box in it but I took it out. I really did not notice much diference.
    To make it breathe better a K&N cold air intake system will help.
    TBIs are a good system. You can make them run good and get pretty good gas milage too.
    If you are going to modify and work on a computer controlled vehicle you really need a good scanner. its hard to properly diagnose problems without one.
    autoxray.com]makes a very good scanner for around 140 bucks.

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

If you've got a laptop, another option is WinALDL

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

This wouldn't be the one in Sapulpa would it? White sitting at C.A.R.S. of Sapulpa?

BTW, go to www.thirdgen.org (I think that's the siteThey've got lots of input on this stuff.