Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TC EZ Rides, or 52s up front?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by beater_k20, May 27, 2004.

1. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i've been hearing alot of guys go to 52" springs up front. i purchased a set of 6" TC EZ Ride front springs from a member a while back, and now i'm reconsidering using them. i pulled my 86 C10 apart, and now i have a bare 2wd chassis sitting in my driveway. it has 52" rears on it. my buddy wants the front suspension and rear axle out of it for his project truck, but he already has a set of rear springs for it.

if i go the 52" route, i'm planning on just swapping the body mount brackets side for side. since it appears it will mess with my stock bumper mounting i was thinking of building a front bumper while i was at it. i'd probably end up using 3/8" plate, bolted through the frame and body mounts as side plates for a winch mount, and then build some armor off of that.

a few questions regarding these mods i have are: how much lift will i gain over stock with the 52" springs up front? i've already got crossover steering in mind for the truck, but will i need any special kit to accomplish this with the axle moved forward like i'm told 52s will do?

and lastly, your opinions both for and against this swap... much appreciated.

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Depending how to do the springs, the 52"'s in the front will net you at about 4-5" of lift, stock. Since they move the axle forward you will have to modify the front driveshaft to be a bit longer. I am doing this swap when I find out enough. Look for my thread in the garage labeled " 52" and 57" spring questions" for information about mounting and such. Or PM Sandman, or Kidjethro, who both have completed this swap not to long ago /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

There isn't any "modifying" of his driveshaft because as of now he doesn't have one.

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

yup, what Tim said. no driveshaft to modify, so thats not an issue. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

What happened to it?

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i havent called Jesse yet. the whole story... i started with an 86 C10, bought a 79 K10 (minus motor/trans/case/shafts) for the chassis and the bed, and bought a 81 K30 (minus motor, trans out of truck, and no shafts) for the 60, and a few other misc purchases. so far, none of them have included a driveshaft of any sort.

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Ooooh... so your getting one from HAD? That's were I'm getting mine when the blazer is finished (a few years /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif) /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Got your PM. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    how much lift will i gain over stock with the 52" springs up front?

[/ QUOTE ]

I got about 4.5" of lift. I took off 6" Tuff country easy rides and it all dropped 1.5"

[ QUOTE ]
    i've already got crossover steering in mind for the truck, but will i need any special kit to accomplish this with the axle moved forward like i'm told 52s will do?

[/ QUOTE ]

My axle is forward a total of 3.25" and my crossover works just fine. I cannot run high steer though as the drop steering arm would hit the tierod.

[ QUOTE ]
    and lastly, your opinions both for and against this swap

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no "against" at this point. I ended up with a lower COG and can rune the same size tires, it rides much better, flexes great and was cheap to do.

You will have to something about shocks if you have not already and you might need a longer travel front driveline.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Has anyone run front 52s on the street besides Zcarczar?

10. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

Awww good CHRIST!!! Now I have to come up with 52" springs before I mount my D60 so I only have to have the driveshaft modified once.... I'm never gonna get that damn thing under my truck. I hate you guys.

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

its scary how much you and i think alike sometimes. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

12. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've drove mine around on the street including the freeway and it was fine. Towing might be a different story.

13. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i purchased a set of 6" TC EZ Ride front springs from a member a while back

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you gonna do w/ the TC EZ rides if you run those? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I've already got dibs on them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Don't even bother with the EZ Rides. They are not very easy riding, and will not flex anywhere near what a 52 will. I am not very impressed with my 4" TC EZ Rides. They are an ok spring but personally I would run a 52" or a custom spring if I wanted alot of flex.

My EZ Rides absolutely sucked when I put them in. They rode like arse and didn't flex well. I have put 4-5 runs on them and flexed them alot and they have gotten a little better.

For a street/trail truck that sees more street then trail they would be ok, but if you want to wheel it hard then go with 52's or Alcans, etc.

Harley