Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TC EZ Rides or HD's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gstuck3, Oct 30, 2005.

1. gstuck3

gstuck3 Registered Member

Just bought some 35" BGF/MT's and they rub pretty bad in the front so I'm "forced" to do a 4" lift on my 74 Jimmy and have decided to use Tuff Country springs up front and a shackle flip rear. I need an educated opinion on weather to get the EZ Ride or HD springs. I have a heavy front bumper but have no idea how heavy. It's made of an 8" peice of channel iron 74" long and topped with 1/4" diamond plate the brackets that attach it to the frame are 1/2" plate. I would like to put a winch some day. I looked at the spring rate chart on here and saw that the HD's are about 100 lower than others springs but I have no idea what all that means in real world terms. It looks like the HD's will be fine for my application but would like some info from those who really know. Also, where's a good place to get a 4" drop pitman arm?

DSCN2678.JPG

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

For the front I would suggest using BDS spring over TC. If you are set on the TC product then with a bumper like that I would recommend the HD's for you. They will be stiff at first but will break in somewhat and ride ok for you. I have 4" TC EZ Ride HD's and they are ok springs. A good buddy of mine has BDS springs on a similar truck and his BDS springs are better then my TC's in my honest opinion.

Harley

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

id get the 4" hd and if you dont like it you can remove the lower leaf and have the ez ride spring. the ez ride spring is exactly the same as the hd but the hd nas one short extra leaf.

4. TravisO

TravisO 1/2 ton status

I've got the EZ ride, non HD 4" springs. I bought them because they were the lowest spring rate I could find and I wanted a soft spring for good ride and flex. They sagged pretty bad to net only about 3" lift up front and I don't even have a front bumper. Sad part is, the kit came with 6" rear springs. The thought process of this I guess was to compensate for the 'heavy' hard top, etc. I didn't know the kit would come with 6" rears. I don't run a hard top, tailgate, or doors so now it sits low in the front and high in the rear. I'm not happy with it at all. I hate spending money on something just to spend more money later to redo it.

Don't buy the regular EZ rides, and I would even hesitate to buy the HD EZ rides. Get BDS 4" fronts or even better, just use the stock rears up front for an honest 4" gain. The rears are already broken in and it's been well documented on here that they will net 4-5" lift when installed up front. Plus it will move your axle forward a little bit to get the tire out of the firewall, the most common clearance issue with bigger tires on a GM.
    Travis