Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TC not locking up gonna kill my tranny??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85mudblazin, Apr 26, 2005.

1. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

My TC has not been locking up since the first day that I bought it, I have a 24,000 GVW tranny cooler, 4.88's, and 35" tires. Will i be ok to run it like this and not smoke the tranny?? If my ATF temps are ok but the TC is not locking up will that hurt anything except my gas mileage??
    BTW this is a 700r4.
    Thanks
    -Chris

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

as long as you have a big cooler on it and check the fluid regularly to make sure it isn't burnt, your only hurting your gas millage

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

In my experience the temps will rise in OD when not locked up. Keep it in "D" till ya get it sorted out then you should be fine. Mine did the same thing for a while and when I tried to use OD it started to warm up right away. Drop it back into D and the temps slowly decreased. I was using the biggest cooler I could lay my hands on. AC condenser!

4. chevy_addict

chevy_addict 1/2 ton status

Ditto, my TC wasn't locking up in 4th and I had the same temperature issues. I purchased this kit from Bowtie Overdrives and now I have lockup in 4th and my transmission temperature dropped 30 degrees (from 180 to 150 deg F) on the freeway compared to running in drive before. :grin:

Dave

5. 85mudblazin

I have been looking at there kits, how hard was that one to install?

6. chevy_addict

It was pretty easy (but messy), after you pull the pan, remove all the internal wiring, replace the solinoid with the one in the kit, replace the 4th gear pressure switch and rewire with the included wiring.

Getting the 4th gear pressure switch out was kind of a pain, I had to remove the 3rd gear (I think) pressure switch to get to it. I used either a 26mm or a 24mm socket, (I'll check tonight) to get the 3rd gear switch out and then used a 1-1/16 open end wrench to remove the 4th gear switch, put the 3rd gear switch back in after installing the new 4th gear pressure switch.

After all that was done I wired up the relay and was finished.

Here is a picture of my tranny with all the old wiring, the switch with the green connector on the left is the 4th gear switch, and the one next to it is the one I had to remove to get a wrench on the 4th gear switch

Dave

MVC-008F.JPG

7. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I used the factory cruise control switch. My cruise wasn't operational anyway and all the stuff was hanging there. All you have to do is supply power to the TC solenoid through the switch for cruise control. When you depress the brake pedal the cruise control switch will disengage the circuit thereby shutting off the lock up. It's really simple. You do have to have the correct style TC solenoid though. Has to be a two wire if memory serves.

8. chevy_addict

This is cheaper than buying the kit, wish I knew that before :doah:

9. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

If your cruise still works can you still do that?

10. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Definately get the lock-up action fixed before you run it in OD anymore. I have talked to two different tranny shops that say you'll burn up the clutches if the TC doesn't lock up..

11. 85mudblazin

OK so if I have the 2 wire selenoid then I dont have to buy the kit that has the internal stuff which is like $70, I can just buy the one with the external wiring kit??
    And where is the selenoid so I can checl if it is a 2 wire??

12. chevy_addict

Pull the pan and the solinoid is a white piece up by the torque convertor, look in the pictures of the BTO kit and it's the long white thing. The one I removed was a two wire.