Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TC problems

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by frito, Nov 2, 2001.

1. frito

frito Registered Member

hey i was wondering if any of you have had a problem with a 205 where it will go into neutral sometimes when you come to a stop and the go back into 2H when you give it some power the shifter dosnt move its something internal in the TC and it only seems to happen when its cold and its not the tranny for sure. also my TC HAD ATF in it (dumb idiot i got the truck from didnt put gear oil in it !) and i didnt know untill i checked the fluid level witch wasnt too low, i changed the fluid and put gear oil in but it still does the neutral thing.
    thanks for the help
    Frito

2. jmeador74

jmeador74 1/2 ton status

Hey... some of the later model 205's have atf in them so I really wouldn't be too worried about it... but the problems with the shifting as far as I know is normal... so long as the t/c is doing it's job in each position you put it in... meaning in 2h only the back tires get power and in 4h you get power to all four and the 4l you get low range along with all the power... The tc has problems shifting when the engine is usually running and it is under some kind of load or power... most times its easier to just shift when the engine is off... but who wants to cut the engine just to shift the transfer case... You might have better luck going from forward to reverse while trying to shift...might help...
    72 Chevy Blazer

3. frito

frito Registered Member

well my blazer is a 71 and the TC is more than likely the original one and its not that i have problems moving the shifter its that it will go into neutral when a stop sometimes with out me doing anything

4. Tommy

Tommy 1/2 ton status

You may have a linkage problem. If your truck is an auto, the TC is supposed to have ATF fluid!

Drive it Like You Hate It!

5. frito

frito Registered Member

yes it is an auto, but my service book says that all 205's before 81 take gear oil trans dont make a diff

6. Tommy

Tommy 1/2 ton status

My 70 had atf in it!

Drive it Like You Hate It!

7. frito

frito Registered Member

huh .. thats pretty funny =) im pretty sure they are supposed to have gear oil at all times though cuz my friend has a 75 short bed chevy with an auto and 205 and his had gear oil in it. but im sure tranny fluid in a 205 isnt going to hurt it much do to the fact that its such a strong TC

8. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

do a search on here before this becomes a heated debate over this issue, some can use ATF it all depends on who and when it was rebuilt. Don't remember off the top of my head what weight Oil but either will work but the concenses is Oil. Don't know much about the internals of the TC's but sounds like you may have a bearing loose MAYBE. Otherwise it shouldn't do that I don't think, Mine didn't

Like em big and topless
    Excuse me...Would you mind removing your import from under my chevy?

9. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Under Transfer Case, the owner's manual says: "Use SAE 80 or SAE 90 GL-5 Gear Lubricant." Page 52.

FWIW, I used SAE 85W-90 semi-synthetic gear oil in mine.

I don't know why it'd be popping in and out of gear all by itself unless there were something worn out internally or unless it weren't all the way in gear. Basically, it's just a non-synchronized manual transmission, so you should probably check it carefully. It really shouldn't go popping in and out of gear on its own.

10. frito

frito Registered Member

yeah its not the shifter or linkage because it will do it no matter what gear its in low 2h or 4h but it only does it when you stop hard and when its cold and will never do it when your on the throttle, its a very odd problem =/

thanks for the help though

11. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Steve the guy that just did my rebuild on my tranny popped my tc apart for me to double check it for problems. Said he didn't see any shavings or anything so he put it back together and filled it with ATF like it had in it. Since I still have it out can I just drain it and fill it with gear oil? or will the remaining atf on the parts mixing with the gear oil get nasty?

Like em big and topless
    Excuse me...Would you mind removing your import from under my chevy?

12. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

LKJR, I don' think that any residual ATF in the transfer case would affect the gear oil much. I'd just drain it and put in fresh gear lube. Maybe change it in a year or so of you're concerned about contamination. FWIW, the Richmond Gear 5-speed I just put in my Trans Am had ATF all over its insides. I just made sure that no more would drain out of the drain hole, filled the thing up with gear oil, and proceeded to break it in.