Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tc shifter bushing

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jasonkh2tg, Jul 5, 2003.

1. jasonkh2tg

jasonkh2tg 1/2 ton status

I got the TC put back in the truck after the rebuild and noticed the bushings for the shifer are cracked and shot and are not useable...QUESTION does GM or anyone sell replacement bushings for the shifter on a NP205....????

Also I looked at my LMC catalog and they have nothing so im kinda at a dead end right now...so and insight would be great... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The stock shifter came with no bushing. It was a large sholder bolt that bolted into the adapter. Because 205's can be hard to shift sometimes they sometimes get broken. When they get broken the easist thing to do is replace it with a reglar bolt with a sleeve over it. You will have to make or have made another sleeve or try and find the sholder bolt that belongs there.

3. jasonkh2tg

hmmm...that's intresting cuz I have two NP205 in the garage and both had a small bolt with a sleve and a plastic bushing over the sleeve...hmmm but thanks for the info...

I know what you mean when you say hard shifting...the easy fix is to get lighter springs where the poppet ball rides on the shift rail.... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I had my 205 out a few weeks ago and it had that same plastic bushing/sleeve as well.It was almost toast but I greased everything back up and put it back on.Shifts nice now. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Well maybe I'm wrong /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

You would think that GM would have used the same bolt in all the 71's (mine and BobK's are 71's as well). Is this something that got changed mid-year? If so what is the newer part and which is the older?

6. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

GM used both styles. The early ones are a 7/16" bolt with a sleeve and two bushings. The later style are a 1/2" shoulder bolt. I have not been successfull in finding replacement bushings. I think I am going to ream out the shifter and press a brass bushing in it.

7. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

When I switched my old 71 to a 4x4, I just made one out of a 5/8" bolt, a bronze bushing inside of a piece of 3/4" tubing, and then the lever on top of that. I also added a grease zerk to the tubing/bushing combo. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. jasonkh2tg

Yea, Ive looked everywhere...I think Im going to have a machine shop make me a shoulder bolt...

A brass bushing won't work cuz I would have to reem out the hole to 3/4" then tap the threaded part of the adapter so a 1/2 bolt could thread in without slop in the bushing...

If I could find a shoulder bolt with a .75 shoulder and a 7/16" course thread I could make that work if I had to but I have had no luck after looking in some of my dads machine shop catalogs....

so in any event my old man says he can get done for about 20 bucks..... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Look what I stumbled across at PepBoys.I think these will work for the Tranfer case shifter.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. jasonkh2tg

HELP 74016.........awsome thanks you much bob... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

If you have some coin...go see uncle gm and get a new bolt...which will have a hole for a grease zerk...and order a new shifter from a 73 up...i realize that the shifters are diff from gen 1 and gen 2 but...seems uncle gm redesigned the shifters bolt hole in the last few years as they have installed a rubber bushing much like a spring eye in the shifter...cures the rattle problem quite nicely also...just food for thought.

DW

12. jasonkh2tg

yea I picked up the 73 and later bolt from GM 14009313...It will fit my first gen shifter with no problem it fit's like it were made for it, but on the T/C adapter I will have to drill and tap the existing hole because the thread diameter is larger...no big deal I just hope I can do with the adapter in the truck... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif