Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tcase/Cross member/Armor

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by White Knight, Mar 5, 2002.

1. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

After trashing the center section of the 208 presently in the Knight..(yeah doing really something stupid)/forums/images/icons/mad.gif, I have my replacement ready to go in...now to the question has anyone beefed up a armor plate of somesort to protect these alum. T-cases?...I plan to build/fab something that will support the weight of the K5 plus 2000 lbs. And protect it from direct strikes on the t-case skid plate there. I'm going to add sliders at the same time, they're already built. Pix would be great as I can fab anything I need, if not pix, how 'bout Ideas, cause I'll be damned if it'll happen again. Thanks in advance.

White Knight ............ Texas variety

2. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Something on my huge list to do.
    Looking at the Tcase it kinda says "Bet you can smash me!"
    I was thinking on the lines of some DOM tubing across the frame that you could plate across or a couple of rock rods. Let me know what you are thinking of. Something light but heavy duty. If I don't get it done before Moab, I might have to find a spare to take (just in case). Any cheap spares out there for Aug.?

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

could you maybe make tubular x-members that bolt to the skid plate for the t-case? this would put a lot of load to the frame rails then. i dont know how yours is set up. i know mine in my 74 is nice and stout. i just line-x'd it and added some gussets on the inside. i dont have any pictures. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
    Grant

4. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

Having virtually no welding skills or fabrication tools, I decided to take my skidplate,crossmember needs to a pro. He mounted the t-case (np208) using a traditional trannymount and then used poly bushings for the mounts that attach to the frame rails. He also made the whole thing as "slippery" as possibe so as not to snag on rocks etc.

5. White Knight

See what I need is a skid plate/cross member that'll mount at the rails, which I'll box if needed, strong enough to take a impact of the the truck landing at that area....the OEM skid plate really does a decent job pf brushing off rocks, trees, jeeps, and whatever else I run over. Some of the hills I run require a burst of speed right at the top in order to crest and land, but the landing is the problem sometimes it dead center truck and with the truck on its breakover angle hence striking the skid plate.....so I require mucho strength here...any Ideas???? If not then I'll engineer something and post some pix.

White Knight

6. Look at Stephen Watsons' Green Blazer from last years TTC, he has a pretty nice skid plate from rail to rail. The only difference would be his T-cases are clocked up so they are up inside the rails so it mounts flat across. You could do the same thing, but make a cut-out for the transfer and then box it in.

7. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I built this <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v1/3/34/42/18833442yvGEZvXXiH_ph>gaurd.</a> It is a whole lot stonger than the crossmember its bolted to.Now I either need to beef up the crossmember or build a cool low profile member like whats available for the Toyota guys.

8. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

9. White Knight

Like B Burb said rail to rail, as far as the clocking thing I've looked at it and it will entail opening a whole other can of worms, clearances to the floorboard, angles on the front shaft, moving the shift lever....I dunno I just had invisioned a plate with beef under it between the frames....I would like to say I'll never put my truck in the position that it was when I broke the tcase...but I KNOW I will push the envolope again and there goes another t-case...so I'm endeavoring to curtail it now. I guess its gonna take sitting down with paper and pencil and creat something.....thanks for the ideas....don't understand what the FourXDR thing was for...explain?

White Knight

10. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

If you noticed there was a tcase guard in the pic I linked

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

when and why did you put a 208 in it?
    torture testing? a dare?

12. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

he's had a 208 since i've known him. If there was some way to shield them well, I'd run one too. 2.6:1 low range would be nice.

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

sorry
    wrong white knight
    didnt know there was more then one