Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tcase lowering kit?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by digity, Feb 6, 2005.

1. digity

digity 1/2 ton status

Looking to do 6 maybe 7" of lift. I know lowering the tcase gives healthier angle but are there negatives in doing this? And would a 1" kit really make a difference?:confused:

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

yes and no. it lowers the rear, but raises the frt . save money and do a cv shaft rear.

3. tweaker

tweaker 1/2 ton status

with a shackle flip in the rear, dropping the t-case is a good idea. it saves you from having to shim the rearend. i've done it to a truck with 8" lift and my blazer with 4" lift. in my case it stopped alot of rear end hop and vibration on the freeway. as far as negatives, sure you'll scrape at high center a bit more, but you just lifted it so add 6" plus tire say 35's so that's like 8"s total so 1" drop means at center you're 7" higher from the ground than where you started.

4. play with your axle angle instead the though of a t case danglin lower dont sound good- but then again thats my opinion

5. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If you lower it, use some pieces of flat stock to do it. Otherwise the frame will probably crack.

To me, lowering the transfercase is counter-productive. It solves the rear shaft problem but hurts the front shaft. Not to mention if you've got a land-anchor NP208 or NP241 it puts the case more in harm's way.

6. digity

digity 1/2 ton status

Hmmm. This is my 1st project truck, I don't understand how it helps rear but raises front. Either way it dosen't sound to popular. How bout these zero rates I here about. I read somewhere you can order them machined for better pinion angle. :)

7. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

with the skidplate on the 208 or 241 it will drag on all kinds of crap but almost never enough to get stuck. If anything i would clock it up to get it out of the way. My plate is almost punctured with a 6 inch and 35's but it doesn't hurt anything to drag it on your way up/down a steep ass hill just might end up killing your momemtem and sending you back down the hill on your lid..