Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tcase options

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Feb 21, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Ugh I'm ripping my head apart trying to figure out tcase options. Right now I have the stocker 208 behind my 465. 2.61:1 gear ratio with my 5.13s will be a 87.83:1 crawl ratio. Now the 208 is of course not a strong case and I don't really want to be running it. But its got a good ratio and nice weight. I could go to a 205 but then I only have a crawl of 65.96:1 and the added weight of a 205. Now I could go with a 203/205 doubler, that would give me a 134.61:1 crawl ratio but do I really need one that low? And that will add lots of weight, and $$$. Also what about when I need tire speed all of a sudden? Even 4th gear with the doubler fully reduced its still a bit too low gearing. I could get an Atlas but thats even more money than the doubler, 3.0 would be a pretty good atlas case that would work just like I want but thats just money. My head is pounding. Custom doublers? 203/20, 203/300...

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the 20 is not a very nice case
    the sliding gear shifting is pretty ugly

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you could go with the 241 and have a crawl of 91.40, but remember that with the doubler you have 2 lows in the t case, a 2:1 and 4:1

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah my only problem is a 241 is hard to locate. Actually I have one in my suburban I just have no idea about removing it and puting my 208 in the burb.

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i think that another posibility would be a WMS np203 box with the 3 to one gears and then a full time conversion shaft in the 203. costly as well, but could be a good setup. untill someone makes lower gears for a 205 i think that would be a goodway to do it. the only problems i have with a part time 203 isweight and chain streaching. but the chain takes a lot to streach. plus with the 203 and full time kit you get 2 low.
    Grant

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I considered that as well, and actually a 203 with lower gears and then a doubler would be a great way to go. But too expensive right now. I was thinking I should see about taking out like a $2000 loan to finish up the buggy.

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

yeah, i may spring for the doubler with WMS deal. ill be using WMS dual t-case setup vice ORD. they make a kit for the 205 LONG female input. thats an extra couple of inches for my front driveshaft. then i can run close to equal length shafts and carry only one spare.
    grant

8. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I'll 2nd the 241. You can do an SYE and get a 1 ton cv shaft and be done with it. You will need one from an 89 and will need a 32 spline input shaft.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yeah I just need to figure out what I need to do with my burb. I have an 89 Burb 3/4 ton as my daily driver with 465. Aka it has a 241 with 32 spline input. Just have to figure out the speedo thing and then I will pull the 241 for my Buggy and put the 208 in my burb.

10. DwarF

DwarF 1/2 ton status

I got a NP241 from blue thunder, and put a slip yoke eliminator in it. I am quite happy with it, but let me tell ya. The other day, I stuck my head under a mid-80's Dodge and found that it had a 208, with no slip yoke! I was kinda pissed that I paid all that money for the SLE. I did get a better ratio and better lube, but I bet you can get one of those dodge 208s pretty cheap. I haven't seen them discussed much here, so I don't know how well it would work, but it looked just like my old 208 with no slip. Also, about people talking about breaking the 208, I have never seen it. I have heard of people streatching their chains, but that has been few and far between, and for the price of 208's these days, you can replace the chain in 2.5 hours, or swap out the whole t-case in 1.5. Makes the expense, weight, and trouble of a doubler look pretty exotic for a daily driver rig.

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

my rig is an all off road tube buggy, I want the 241 for the lower gear ratio. Dodge 208s have been discussed many times here, but like I said, gearing is my problem. one of my other problems with all this stuff is reliability. I would like to put a big block or high powered small block in the buggy someday and not sure I trust the 208, I'd feel much better about a 241 with SYE and new chain.