Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TCI Deep pan pointers...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ftn96, Mar 26, 2001.

1. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Well, heres the update on my TCI Deep pan install. I have a 90 model with stock exhaust and the collector pipe, I guess you call it, runs right under the trans pan and the front driveshaft. I also have the T-case spacers in, so to get to the point this BIG SOB didn't want to fit between the exhuast and the valve body. So I had to take the front driveshaft out and the t-case spacers, then jack the tranny up as high as it would go, even then it took a few love taps with the dead blow hammer. After this, YES I figured out about the Torque converter dust cover. I had to drop it down and crank up the air compressor and do some trimming. Only had to shave off about 3/16 to a 1/4 of and inch. Well, let me go back here, the pan went on a little better with the dust cover off. Any way after all is said and done its all installed and no leaks. The only thing I dont like now is that I have to go thru all this when I change the trans filter, also the drain plug is aligned right over on top of the damn exhuast pipe. That should make for a pretty mess.
    I plan on getting headers and new axhuast anyway, so I can remap the collector hopefully to avoid this for the future and to get that heat away from the trans pan.

One more note, the pan bolts didn't come with washers and I could get the washers of the stock bolts, so I had to go buy some. Hope this helps anyone intersted in installing one. Again this was the problems with my 90 model and may apply to similar year models.

Will work for beer, parts and tools.
    90 Jimmy 350TBI-700R4-241-33" BFGs-10 bolts w/4.10's
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the update. I was looking at one for my 79 (has 700-R4 and NP 205 now). The front drive shaft hits the stock pan and I had to do some modifications to the pan to get it to fit. Will still look at getting one for the Z71 when it comes time for the fluid change. Drain plug mainly. I'm tired of trying to balance a pan full of fluid with one hand. I guess I should go ahead and let the thing drop, it's going to spill all over the place any way....