Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TDC... Finding it?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 2High4U, Sep 9, 2005.

1. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

What is the easiest way to find top dead center on my number one cylinder?
    my rotor is pointing to the #2 spark plug wire

I dont have a lot of power and its pointing to the number 2 spark plug wire so this makes me believe that the distibutor is a tooth off

When the #1 Cyl is tdc the rotor should align with the number one wire right??

any information would be appreciated

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

remove a spark plug, shine a flash light in and crank it by hand? what i did was stick a huge zip tie in and cranked it over by hand until the zip tie stopped coming up and started going back down, then i cranked it the other way till it was at TDC, thats.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

old school way...

I use the old fashioned way--to find TDC I remove the #1 spark plug,put my thumb over the plug hole,and have someone crank the engine over in shorts burts until I feel the compression blow my thumb off the hole--that way your sure its on the compression stroke and not 180 degrees off on an intake or exhaust stroke...(a remote starter switch makes doing this alone possible-)--be sure the spark plug wire isnt close to you,or you might be in for a shocking experience! :yikes: :eek: --or pull the big pink or red wire off the HEI first.. :wink1:

They used to make a neat whistle that screwed in the spark plug hole (kind of like a police whistle)--it would whistle when you spun the engine over,and it was coming up on TDC..pretty handy tool if you work alone!.. :crazy:

4. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

Thats the only way I do it,works everytime!

5. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

Found this little trick on the internet...

"Had need to find TDC and remembered someone mentioned a whistle being used. Don't have a whistle, but made up a simple fitting from an old sparkplug housing, attached clear tubing and ran it into a jar of water. Bubbles came out on compression, stopped at TDC and started sucking up water immediately after TDC. I worked the crank back and forth slightly a couple times to get accurately centered. Easy to see the water level position inside the small tubing."

6. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

my blazer is a PITA

I think this motor doesnt like me...
    I had #1 on tdc the rotor was pointing to the number one sparkplug wire when i dropped it in
    it was all the way down too
    IT WONT START STILL :angry1:

If i have someone try to start it and move the cap back amd forth it tries to start any ideas?? if anyone is close by to upland california and can give me a hand let me know it is going to be shipped to pennsylvania soon plus it would be nice to meet a fellow k5er around the area.

thanks in advance

7. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

think i've mentioned that a few times in here.. glad to see i'm the not the only one who's seen it.. :waytogo: my old boss bought his thru a vette catalog... its the only one i've ever seen.. wonder if their available..hmm, have to hunt Ebay.. :thinking:

btw, to the original poster, if your still questioning your TDC, pull the valve cover, it will be garaunteed right... just ask how if need be..

i can't tell ya how many times i've seen guys screw up the plug way.. so many mistake the light pressure of the exhaust stroke for compression i suppose..

8. ryoken

found it... the one my boss had was a thread in jobbie tho..
    [​IMG]

9. ryoken

wow, here's a long one like a compression tester.. like it.. :D

[​IMG]