Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Teach me about early 90's Ford F350's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by josh86k10, Dec 15, 2006.

1. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

Feb 13, 2005
    Sorry to ask questions about a Ford, but my dad's about to buy one and I want to learn as much as possible about them (pros and cons) to educate his decision. He's looking for a tow rig in the 5K-6K dollar range, and found this '93 Ford F350 dually with a 12' flat bed for $5500. It has a diesel, manual trans, and is 4wd. Approx 150,000 miles with all maintenence records for regular oil changes with synthetic oil (mastercraft until warranty expiration, however). It has been a work truck, but a one owner, well maintained work truck. Teach me about the drivetrain. I think it should be a 7.3L, right? What's their reputation? What axles will it have? What is known to break? How long does an International Ford diesel last? What 5 speed would be in it? 5 years ago I would have turned my nose up at it just for being a Ford, but I'm starting to broaden my horizons. Help me learn about this non-Chevy stuff. Thanks...and if this needs to be moved to a different spot, Mods, since its a Ford, I won't fuss.
  2. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

Mar 8, 2005
    Should be a 7.3 non-turbo, ZF 5 speed close ratio tranny, and sterling rear end. A very stout drivetrain.
    What kind of maintenance has been done? Original clutch? If clutch was changed, was flywheel replaced? With single or dual mass flywheel?
    A well taken care of 7.3 non-turbo should last 250-300 k miles easy.
  3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Jul 11, 2003